Honda

Have Honda questions? Ask a Honda repair expert.

Kyle, I have 2003 Honda Pilot. Here is the background to the…

Customer Question
Kyle, I have 2003 Honda Pilot...
Kyle,
I have 2003 Honda Pilot. Here is the background to the problem. This is more than likely coincidence but not the less strange. Small pressure hose off the the thermostat sprung a leak...fixed it. Next morning drove suv and it died. Oil and battery light came on. Changed alternator car started up fine, load tested alternator car died I watched the voltage drop. Took alternator out got another one. Now the car will not start. Car turns over but nothing. I have check the fuel pump fuses and relay switch. Taken out the back seat to access to the fuel pump. I cannot tell if it's working or not. I don't hear a loud pumping noise. Any way I can check the resistance of it? I have checked the ignition coils for resistance they are all about 1.1 ohms. Took off timing belt cover to see if belt broke...it on. Spayed carb cleaner down the air intake manifold...noting.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Honda
3/6/2016
Mechanic for Honda: justinsbg, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
justinsbg
justinsbg, ASE Certified Technician

My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to help. Can you please tell me if the green key light is flashing on the dash while cranking the engine?

Justin,I figured out the problem, the main relay board under the steering wheel column had a bad solder connection which caused the fuel pump relay and Pgm-if to not fire. When I wiggled the board the car started fine and then it died after releasing pressure. I also saw it arch between the old solder as well. I took the board out and fixed with new solder. The car runs fine now...this one took up my whole day as there was not much good information on the internet. I hope this posts so others can read it.

Great, I was definitely leaning towards the main relay, but wanted to get some more information before calling it bad. I see this all the time as a Honda specialist. Glad it's sorted out.

Hey, if you are happy with my service and response time please rate me positively. I will gladly help with any other issues you have or any information you might need. Thanks!

justinsbg
justinsbg
justinsbg, ASE Certified Technician