Honda

Have Honda questions? Ask a Honda repair expert.

My 2007 ridgeline won't start. no previous issues. starter…

Customer Question
my 2007 ridgeline won't start...
my 2007 ridgeline won't start. no previous issues. starter cranks but won't start. timing belt was replaced about 4 months ago. I drove it to work with no problems then after work it wouldn't start.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Honda
3/5/2016
Mechanic for Honda: Honda-Man, Honda Mechanic replied 2 years ago
Honda-Man
Honda-Man, Honda Mechanic

Welcome to Just-Answer. My name is ***** ***** online handle is Honda-Man. I have over 31 years experience repairing Honda and Acura vehicles. I may need to ask some questions before I can give an answer. As much detail as possible is greatly appreciated.

I have a few questions to get things started.

1) Does it turn over as fast as it usually does? Starter sounds good and strong?

2) Do the dash and instrument lights dim when you crank it?

3) What does the immobilizer green key indicator do when you crank it over? Same question for the check engine light?

Thank you, Honda-Man

the starter sounds strong and turns the engine but does sound odd. no clicking but it has a high pitched sound. maybe because of no fuel or spark?? the lights do not dim. my battery was under warranty so I got a replacement yesterday but the same issue persists. I key light and check engine lights do not illuminate.
I do hear the fuel pump when the key is in the ignition.
i replaced the timing belt myself a few months ago and haven't had any issues with this vehicle at all until the other day. what would be symptoms if that belt broke by some chance?

Thanks for the quick reply and additional information. It sounds like it's flooded. It can also be related to the timing belt or camshaft timing being off. If it's just flooded initially and you keep trying to start it it will just get worse. Hold the throttle to the floor and crank it without letting up on the key. It can take a while but don't go longer than 15-20 seconds because it can overheat the starter. Fuel injected engines can flood believe it or not, it's more common than you might think. It makes that high pitched sound because the fuel in the cylinders has washed the piston rings reducing the compression. The symptoms of a slipped or broken timing belt will be the same as if it's flooded so lets hope that's not it. Try my suggestion first then let me know what happens please.

ok. i have to drive back to where it is so it'll be a little while before i can try it. so justto give some more detail. i drove to work at 6am, no issues, then at 6pm it wouldn't start. I'm just curious how it could become flooded without being driven or started?

Flooding can happen if the engine does not start quickly then you let up on the key and repeat. Like won't start huh? think I will try again then you keep trying with just short attempts one after another. You may well have a slipped or out of time timing belt but I think it's worth a try to hold it to the floor and crank it. if it tries to catch keep on the key. might take several long cranks to get it started. If this does not work you will need to check the camshaft timing. Please let me know what happens. No hurry.

Thanks, Honda-Man

i tried starting it like you said...no help
i can see through the oil cap that everything is moving so the timing belt isn't broken.
there's fuel since it smells so what about ignition?

Darn I was hoping it would work. If it's too flooded the plugs won't fire no mater what. They might need to be replaced. To check spark remove one coil and use a old or different plug inserted into the coil. Then crank it and watch the plug for spark. Make sure the end of the plug is sitting on a metal surface so the plug threads are grounded.

If the check engine light and immobilizer lights are not staying on there should be spark. The timing can slip or be of far enough to cause your problem. The cams can turn but if the timing is off it won't start and the compression will be lower. Only way to be sure is line up the timing marks or at least try to line them up. Set the crank pulley mark to the white TDC mark and see if the cams are lined up.

The noise you describe is classic for a flooded engine or one with incorrect camshaft timing or a broken belt. I don't think you will have a ignition(spark) problem. It's going to be a lack of compression issue.

ok. is it logical to have a timing issue occur out of nowhere with zero symptoms beforehand? i replaced the belt and water pump 7 months ago and it's ran fine ever since. no sputtering or lack of power.
I'm having it towed home now so i'll tear it apart over the next couple days but it sure seems like something failed as opposed to a timing issue since it came out of the blue with no other associated problems.

I still think it's flooded. The noise it's making is a classic symptom. If the timing belt tensioner fails it can jump time. They are hydraulic and can leak down. When you first start it the timing can jump, seen it many times at first start up. Timing belt failure never starts with a driveability issue like lack of power. It just happens suddenly and dies or won't start. All it takes is a few teeth off on the cam timing to cause a no start, dies when driving, or a loss of compression. It's easy to check the timing with the instructions I sent. Swap out the plugs and give it a try.

ok thanks. if the timing did jump will it cause any engine damage or can i just reset it?

The V6 engines usually don't end up with valve piston contact damage. Especially since it didn't happen when driving. Contact usually makes a solid rude noise or the engine won't turn over because of mechanical interference. If it skipped time the belt should be replaced along with the tensioner. It can stretch or damage the belt even if it looks OK. Better safe than sorry don't want it breaking going down the road.

ok thanks. i'll give it a shot tomorrow. gotta go to Daytona supercross now. have a good weekend.

Sounds fun, have a good time.

i replaced the spark plugs. no help.
opened the engine back up and the timing belt is very loose on the top side. and was obviously rubbing because there's a lot of material missing on the side and it's all built up inside.

Sorry to hear that I was hoping it would be easier. Sounds like it skipped time. If it was rubbing one of the pulleys, water pump , etc might be loose. Guess it's time to tear it down all of the way and check all of the pulleys and tensioner.

I would spin it over and see if the marks are off just to be sure.

do you have any more detailed instructions on the timing or just the pictures? i want to make sure i get this right so i don't end up opening it back up again.

Let me look for better instructions.

Click HERE for a folder with the instructions. You will need to fill in the obvious parts I just included the belt installation.

Thanks, Honda-Man

great thank you. last question. i bought a new belt and tensioner. do you think i should change anything else?

If the water pump pulley bearing or any of the idler pulley bearings are loose they will need to be replaced. Other than that no if they all feel OK just the belt and tensioner will need to be done.

Thanks, Honda-Man

Honda-Man
Honda-Man
Honda-Man, Honda Mechanic