Honda

Have Honda questions? Ask a Honda repair expert.

Metal scraping noise while acclerating on 2006 Honda

Customer Question
Metal scraping noise while...

Metal scraping noise while acclerating on 2006 Honda Odyssey?

Mechanic's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

There is a loud metal scraping noise when acclerating, almost sounds like a heat shield issue but that is fine. Also I noticed the VSA light stays on.

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Honda
2/29/2016
Mechanic for Honda: Matt, Engineer replied 2 years ago
Matt, Engineer

Hello

I'd start by checking over the state of the driveshaft joints and the wheel speed sensors as to get the VSA light on I suspect that you may have a problem with a broken sensor ring

So I'd first check the connections at all four corners first for any signs of corrosion or chafed wiring.

The sensor is located in the wheel hub so you'll have to remove each wheel in turn to inspect them all.

Also check that the toothed wheel that the sensor points to is clean and free of any debris.

you can check each sensor's function by plugging the two output wires into an AC voltmeter and spinning the wheel quite quickly, you should get a voltage signal that increases with rev's.

Its possible that the fault is only a bad connection to one of the wheel sensors.

This may be remedied by removing each wheel in turn and unplugging each sensor and cleaning the contacts with a squirt of electrical contact cleaner. Then refitting.