Honda

Have Honda questions? Ask a Honda repair expert.

Horn stopped working. the fuse is good, what is the next…

Customer Question
Horn stopped working. the...

Horn stopped working. the fuse is good, what is the next check?

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a Honda. The Honda Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.

1995 honda civic

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?

Yes

Mechanic's Assistant: Great! What have you tried so far?

Checked the fuse in the box under the hood, it is good.

Mechanic's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Honda Mechanic should know about your Honda?

Not that I can think of

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Honda
Answered in 1 minute by:
2/27/2016
Mechanic for Honda: MASTER TECH, Honda Technician replied 2 years ago
MASTER TECH
MASTER TECH, Honda Technician

Hello welcome to just answer I am master tech and will be able to assist you today.

do you have a volt ohm meter so we can do some testing ?

I don't have a meter

I need you to unplug the horn and then apply power to the horn.

need to confirm the horn is still operational so we don't chase our self's

here is a image of horn and the location very easy to access

If I need to start taking the steering column apart or dash, I am going to defer to my mechanic. Was just hoping there was something else I could easily check other than the fuse.

no don't think it will get their

most likely a bad horn. but to confirm this need to do this simple test.

where is the image you sent?

ops it didn't load

see the pdf file I just sent

got it, hold on

ok

ok, so when I unplug it, how do I apply power, from what?

well their is two ways to do this.

1 is to use a volt meter or test light to see if their is power at the horn.

or the other option is to remove the plug and make a jumper wire that will reach the battery so you can power the horn up by touching the wire to the positive battery post .

this is why a volt meter /test light is important so a simple voltage check and rule this out and then the repair is pretty straight forward .

ok, I am gonna need some minutes, how long is this chat active?

then make a ground wire to ground horn terminal

does not end until we finish this .

no rush

here is the full test. but you don't need to remove the bumper it's pretty easy to get to ..

ok, I will be back. Thanks for the test instructions. If I can get a meter, are there instructions for that?

if you got the volt meter it's a simple test you will check power on the wht/grn wire.

so as someone hold's the horn button you will check to see if their is power on the wire,if you have power then replace the horn as your getting power and the horn simply failed.

ok, I got the horn disconnected, tried to hook it up through the battery (nothing), have a meter from a neighbor, what do I set it to to check the white/green lead?

volt.

red to the power wire and the black to a ground.

DCV or AVC and what value? 20, 200, 1000 (DCV) or 750, 200 (ACV)

dcv

Ok, the multimeter isn't reading anything but I am not sure the post made contact with the leads in the connector. I am just going to take it in. Thanks for your help.

if you unplugged the connector then the terminals will be visible

HondaPlatinum
HondaPlatinum
HondaPlatinum, A Technician