Honda

Have Honda questions? Ask a Honda repair expert.

I have this same issue, 2000 crv, dead battery, took it out,

Customer Question
Hi andrew I have...

Hi andrew I have this same issue

Mechanic's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

2000 crv, dead battery, took it out, charged it up, when i connected it the first time the horn was sounding constantly so i upulled the fuse for the horn and tried to start it, turning the key in the ignition does nothing though now the horn fuse is back in and still no response i've tried the door lock/unlock sequence described on this site and no luck

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Honda
2/26/2016
Mechanic for Honda: Andrew Martin,
 replied 2 years ago
Andrew Martin

Do you have a key fob? If not and the key lock/unlock in the driver door did not work, try unhooking the battery and having the key in the ignition as far as you can turn it without having the engine crank, then hook up the battery and see if that works.

I do have a fob and it was working immediately before this battery issue but now it is non-responsive. I've also tried reprogramming it and it does not have an effect.Just tried unhooking the battery w/ key in "on" position (II) and nothing.
Mechanic for Honda: Andrew Martin,
 replied 2 years ago

Try unhooking the hood latch connector

Ok I will go now to do this
Mechanic for Honda: Andrew Martin,
 replied 2 years ago

Ok

No luck.
I tested the horn and it functions if that helps at all.
Mechanic for Honda: Andrew Martin,
 replied 2 years ago

Ok, if none of these things worked, the only other option that I can think of is that your immobilizer has lost its programming. The only solution to that is to have the dealer reprogram it to your key. I'll open up the question to other experts, maybe they can help you.

Mechanic for Honda: justinsbg, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
justinsbg
justinsbg, ASE Certified Technician

My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to help. Can you please tell me if the engine spins over when you turn the key to start, or does nothing happen?

Nothing happens when I turn the key to start.

Do the dash lights come on when the ignition switch is turned to the ON position?

No.

So it sounds like battery is dead. Have you tried hooking up a set of jumper cables to it to see if it will jump start? Let me know?

No. Battery is fully charged. All connectors/terminals are tight. The battery was dead then I charged and when I reconnected it the horn sounded constantly. Key and fob were unresponsive so I pulled the horn fuse and started to troubleshoot. Now the fuse is back in, no horn sound or alarm sound but everything is still not responding.