Honda

Have Honda questions? Ask a Honda repair expert.

I bought a used element 03 and the cluster lights were out,

Customer Question
Hi Josh, I bought a...
Hi Josh, I bought a used element 03 and the cluster lights were out, I replaced all bulbs and seemed to have worked, but 3 days later they are out again. The only thing I could think of that I did recently was charge my phone in the accessory socket. Do you know what the problem could be in this matter?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Honda
2/25/2016
Mechanic for Honda: Ron, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
Ron, ASE Certified Technician

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

Start first with making sure the #10 (7.5 amp) fuse located in the under dash fuse panel has not blown on you. as well as the #2 fuse (15 amp) located in the under hood panel. Check these and post back with the results and we can work from there is both check okay.

I've just check them both and both are fine.

Okay if both fuses are okay and you have power at the cluster then the problem is likely with the cluster. Its very hard to believe all the bulbs are burned out again. You have not by chance checked your charging system voltage to be sure the alternator is not over charging have you?

No I haven't checked.
How do I do that?

Just for the hell of it check it, normal charging rate on your Element should not exceed 14 volts.

I don't believe I received instructions, on how to check the charging system voltage.

Its real simple, take your volt meter and connect to the battery and start the engine and read the voltage on the meter. Normal charging voltage at idle should be right at 14 volts.

It's reading 14.04 - 14.05

Okay then that rules the charging system out. The next steps would be to check the power and ground at the cluster as well as the bulbs. If you have power and ground at the cluster and the bulbs check okay then the problem is with the cluster.

I'm sorry. I was sure I asked for instructions to be very detailed, for I'm no mechanic. I know must be annoying for you. Thanks

No not at all. What details are you not clear on?

What tools do I need, what do I need to disassemble, diagram of where/how to check ground and power?

You will need the same tools that you used when you replaced the bulbs to remove the cluster assembly and you will need a 12 volt test light and or a volt meter to check power and ground at the cluster connector on the cluster. I have enclosed the cluster wiring diagram in the link below and I have marked the wires to check.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/Cluster%20Feb%2025.pdf