Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Tech 34 years.
7276279

We just bought a 2009 Honda Pilot EX-L and we have both the

Customer Question

We just bought a 2009 Honda Pilot EX-L and we have both the 61-1 and 83-1 codes coming up. It seems to be a common problem. What is typically the fix for this problem?
JA: What model is your '09 Honda?
Customer: Pilot EX-L
JA: Nice car. The Honda Mechanic can help you with your ''09 Honda. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: The check engine light will occasionally come on and then go back off. But it's sending the codes 61-1 and 83-1.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes. If it is a simple fix.
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: I've checked the fuses.
JA: Are you ready to speak with the Honda Mechanic now?
Customer: Sure.
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Honda Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Honda
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

These code are often set due to the Vehicle Stability Assist (VSA) Neutral Position Memorization not being calibrated. I would start with doing the neutral position memorization procedure and see if the codes clear. See the steps to do this in the link below. Copy and paste the link to your browser to open and view them.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/Mem%20reset%20Feb%2025.pdf