Honda

Have Honda questions? Ask a Honda repair expert.

My car is a 2001 Honda, and it wouldn't get out of reverse…

Customer Question
Hey there. My car is a...
Hey there.
My car is a 2001 Honda, and it wouldn't get out of reverse this morning. I kept going backwards. I turned the car off, it was a little hard to start both times, but then I was able to shift into first. It would not shift while the car was going.
I turned the ignition, and the car lurched and was moving forward, all the while I had my the clutch all the way in. I rode the brake a bit, and parked it.
My question~
If there any way I can check to see if this is just s simple problem like transmission fluid being GONE (I have a feeling this is what it is) or would it be a clutch or something else like that.
I need to know how to check myself to get a good idea, so I don't get killed with the mechanic.
Is there any way to add transmission fluid to a standard Honda?
Thanks.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Honda
2/24/2016
Mechanic for Honda: Steve, Honda Mechanic replied 2 years ago
Steve
Steve, Honda Mechanic

the first thing to check would if you can shift through the gears ok with the engine off. If you can it may not be in the transmission.

You could check the fluid level for the clutch. There is a small reservoir near the brake master cylinder. If there is no fluid in the reservoir then either the clutch master cylinder or slave cylinder are leaking. It could be both leaking also.

If the master or slave is leaking you will need to replace those first before you can tell if the clutch is bad.