Honda-Man
Honda-Man, Honda Mechanic
Experience:  I have an Associates Degree in Automotive. 10 Years experience on all makes and models. 20 Years Honda only including factory training. Over 30 years total.
75670266

11998 Honda drivers door locked both ways
, I got out

Customer Question

JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a Honda. The Honda Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: I got out of car left it unlocked came back and was loocked out
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: cant take off inside door panel becase door wont open
JA: Is there anything else the Honda Mechanic should be aware of about your Honda?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Honda Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Honda
Expert:  Honda-Man replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Just-Answer. My name is ***** ***** online handle is Honda-Man. I have over 31 years experience repairing Honda

and Acura vehicles. I would be happy to assist you with your Honda or Acura question!

Just came online ans saw you have been waiting for an answer. Your question is not an easy one to answer. This is a known problem with several generations of Accords. The door latch breaks inside so no matter what you try it won't open form the inside or out. The door panel will need to be removed before you can get to the latch. I remove the passengers seat then the drivers seat. This gives more room to work. The door panel will be damaged somewhat when it's forced out. Unfortunately there is no other option. Once you can see the latch from inside the door it will need to be drilled until it releases the door. I don't have any specific location for the drilling. It's just a mater of hit or miss. Some people use a pick tool to release the latch. I found it close to impossible but you might have better luck. Click HERE for a video.I would have a new latch in hand before you begin. I can look up the part if you like but I will need the VIN so I get the correct part.

Your satisfaction and a positive rating is my goal! Please help me by leaving a rating using the stars at the top of this

page or accept my answer so I may be credited by JustAnswer. You are not charged extra for rating. This is important and

the only way the site will compensate me for my time. All follow-up responses after the much appreciated rating are free

so don't worry you can still come back until you have the advice and answer you need!

Thank you! ~Honda-Man

Expert:  Honda-Man replied 1 year ago.

Just to be clear I drill from inside the door after the panel is removed. I drill from front to back inside the door into the plastic part of the latch. Yes it is tight and frustrating. The video mentions drilling through the door panel?? Not sure how that would work?

Thanks again, Cliff