Honda

Have Honda questions? Ask a Honda repair expert.

I have a 2000 Honda Passport. Car was running fine but check…

Customer Question
Hi Jim I have a...
Hi Jim I have a 2000 Honda Passport. Car was running fine but check engine light would come on and go off. Code was a misfire when on. Last week I drive the vehicle next day would not start. I replaced the fuel pump thinking that was the problem but vehicle still won't start. It's frustrating cause I can't get any codes cause the engine light is not on. Do you have any idea what I can do to get my vehicle started? Never had any problems starting prior to this.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Honda
Answered in 1 hour by:
2/21/2016
Mechanic for Honda: Matt, Engineer replied 2 years ago
Matt, Engineer

hello

I'd start with some basic checks

1st check for spark by removing one of the spark plugs and plug it back into its lead and rest it on the metal of the engine ( DO NOT hold it on place by hand) then have your assistant turn the engine over whilst you watch the plug. It should give a fat blue spark at regular intervals.

If not then check that there's power to the coil pack (at the other end of the plug lead) using a meter. If there’s 12V at the pack but no spark then check the ECU power supply (fuse and relay) and also the connections to the crankshaft speed sensor.

If there is a spark and its still not starting then its likely that the ECU isn't opening the fuel injectors, if the injectors are working you can hear them click - its difficult to hear them with background noise so use a long screwdriver like a stethoscope, placing the handle end in your ear and the metal tip against the body of the injector whilst your assistant turns the engine over.

If you can't hear anything check the ECU power is present by measuring voltage at the fusebox and on its relay socket if OK then check the connections to the crank speed sensor and consider replacing this sensor if the wiring / connections look OK

If the car will start using a squirt of quick/ easi start into the intake then this confirms the problem is lack of fuel

Hi

do you still need help?

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you