Honda

Have Honda questions? Ask a Honda repair expert.

, I HAVE A 1997 HONDA ACCORD AND IT IS IDLING UP AND…

Customer Question
I HAVE A 1997...

I HAVE A 1997 HONDA ACCORD AND IT IS IDLING UP AND DOWN VERY RAPIDLY.....

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a Honda. The Honda Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.

OK

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?

IM TRYING

Mechanic's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Honda Mechanic should know about your Honda?

ITS MANUAL

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Honda
2/20/2016
Mechanic for Honda: justinsbg, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
justinsbg
justinsbg, ASE Certified Technician

My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to help. Can you please tell me if any service work has been done recently?

NO WORK HAS BEEN DONE RECENTLY
I'VE BEEN GOING THROUGH THE TROUBLESHOOTING GUIDE IN THE HONDA MANUAL
CHANGED THE IACV AND STILL THE SAME
NO LEAKS, I CHECKED VERY CAREFULLY

Does the idle surge when the engine is hot and cold or just one or the other?

hot and cold

Give me a few. I'll be back with you shortly.

OK BUT I WANT TO LET YOU KNOW THAT ITS NOT THE THERMO VALVE, THAT WAS ONE OF THE CHECKS, I PUT MY FINGER OVER THE WHOLE IN THE THROTTLE BODY, AND IT WAS SUCKING AIR, TO TELL YOU THE TRUTH WHEN I DID THAT IT IDLED NORMAL
I JUST GOT BACK FROM O'REILYS AND ONE OF THE GUYS THERE MENTIONED THAT IT COULD BE THE EGR VALVE

Alright I'm back. Give me just a moment.

It is not common for the EGR valve to cause this issue. I service Honda every day so I see this often. Please give me some more details on the car? Is this a 2 door or 4 door? LX, EX, DX, SE, WAGON?

LX 2.2L NON VTEC