Honda

Have Honda questions? Ask a Honda repair expert.

I have e problem with my transmission
, i have a 2001…

Customer Question
My name is***** have...

My name is***** have e problem with my transmission

Mechanic's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

I have a 2001 Honda Civic Ex Automatic

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Honda
you said pay only if satisfied, now you ask to pay a deposit, how that work?
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
2/18/2016
Mechanic for Honda: Pete, Auto Service Technician replied 2 years ago
Pete, Auto Service Technician

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Can you tell me what is occuring with your transmission and is it an automatic or manual transmisison?

I will send the additional service request you have asked for if you want to continue over the phone.If not you can deny the request and continue here.

Thanks Pete

2001 honda civic EX automatic
the last time I drove it, the 4th gear was a little bit slipping. checked the fluid was still ok. Still drove it. When I start it in te cold morning the other day, I started hearing a whistling noise that I thought it came from the belt, but latter on I realized that it comes from the transmission.
but transmission still engaged and I drove it still. Before it's quit, when I drove it up hill the RPM goes high but car didn't move faster so after couple hills he just quit going forward, but I can still back up. After few tries, quit completely. I made fluid change thinking that the oil is too dark, used a transmission fluid from autozone (not genuine but it says for honda and toyota) but still the same problem.

O.k.,the noise and the slipping can be due to an issue with the transmission fluid pump possibly as this can start to fail or another internal transmission component slipping like a clutch internal in the transmission as this is common to weak and cause this here.One common problem is the fluid itself.In allot of cases the fluid can become less effective or dirty and Honda's are known for automatic slipping issues with dirty or thin fluid.Honda uses its own special transmission fluid that has to be used on this transmission.If the incorrect fluid is ever added this can cause this issue as well.

In allot of cases a simple transmission fluid flush being done by removing the old fluid and adding new will correct issues like this here.This is done removing the transmission fluid cooler lines from the transmission to flush out the fluid and add new fluid at the coolant line ports.If at any point any incorrect fluid was added I would definitely start with the fluid being flushed.I do see now above as I was typing this that you did the fluid flush already with the correct Honda fluid (if it was recommended for this model) so the fluid isnt the cause.

This sounds like with the new info you added that the fault may be with the transmission fluid pump itself failing needing replaced.The only way to be sure that this is the cause and to see if anything else is causing this here is to have the transmission inspected/tested to locate the fault.This is best done by a repair facility that works on this model transmission or a dealer repair facility.I suspect band wear or transmission fluid pump failure as the cause here.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

well the fluid i used is not genuine i said but can be used on honda they said. It's an equivalent.
well the fluid i used is not genuine i said but can be used on honda they said. It's an equivalent. I am going to take the transmission down now and I will let you know what I find out. I have another question too for another case but I will tell it later today.

If it says it was made for Honda it should be o.k. and if you still have the same issue after changing the fluid then the fluid isnt the cause here.Let me know what you find with the transmission.

Let me know if you need anything else here and feel free to rate my help.

Thanks Pete

I run the car and drove it. Back up and forward when it cold . I drove it for few minutes and transmission bevome weak again and after few moment slips again.

This sounds like clutches slipping in the transmission.When warm the components expand from the warmer temperature and this is when it slips.I suspect this is the cause here.The transmission will have to be inspected further to be sure then repaired once the fault is located.

Thanks Pete

There is no specialist in transmission in my area so i have to do it by myself. Would you guide me for that?
There is no specialist in transmission in my area so i have to do it by myself. Would you guide me for that? Can i flush the transmission before i will take it a part? I mean use kerozene or so.

Unfortunately I am unable to do this myself due to the extensive inspection needing done to the transmission and my info I use does not cover all the repair info on this transmission for your model here.I wish I had better news for you on this.

Thanks Pete

Do you have service manual?

I dont have the full manual for this here but you can obtain it at https://www.alldatadiy.com/.They do charge a small fee for this but the fee is good for one year and covers all repair and diagnostic info for your model as well as wiring diagrams for your model here.I hope this helps.

Thanks Pete

Can i flush with kerozene

I only recommend flushing with the Honda fluid as any other fluids or contaminants on this particular transmission can damage the transmission further.Honda's automatic transmissions are sensitive to any other fluids.

Thanks Pete

My other question is, i have a 1990 accord ex too. S light is blinking. I replaced the tcu and the 2 solenoids but S light still blinking and the car just drive weak, seems like it's stay o. 3rd or 4tb. I replaced the fluid too.

O.k.,at the passenger side under the carpet at the front edge is the TCU.With the key on what code does it blink at you?There is an indicator light on the tcu to display the code.

7 and 8

O.k.,if the tcu has been replaced as well as the solenoids this can be an issue with the wiring leading from the solenoids to the tcu itself being shorted or damaged needing repaired.Below is the diagnostic procedure for both of these codes here to follow to locate the fault.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6dglz3dxjp5i1dn/t-02-18.gif?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mrjb0z8x9r3f7ij/tc-02-18.gif?dl=0

Thanks Pete

I did check the wiring. Was fine.

This may be a power or ground input to the TCU at fault then.I would follow the diagnostic test steps above to pinpoint the fault as it will lead to the component or issue here at fault needing repaired.

Thanks Pete

Do you think it's not a valve or something from inside the transmission?
i mean mechanical problem?

According to the codes this sounds like a circuit/electrical fault.Have you followed the diagnostic steps I provided at all to see what the fault leads to?

i ill try it this morning

O.k.,let me know what you come up with here.

Thanks Pete

for the 2001 honda civic there is no much assistance you can help in fixing it except to find a specialist? I just want a cheapest way to fix it because the value of the car is less than the cost of taking it to the shop.

Unfortunately I dont have the repair info for that transmission.The link I sent above should have all of that info but does charge a fee.The charge is good for one year for your vehicle covering all repairs and diagnostics as well as diagrams.

Thanks Pete

I checked it. The 2p connector was bad. But when i rev the engine rpm goes negative i mean gies down under idle rpm instead of going up. Why?

Did this just now occur with the rpm signal or has this been an issue for awhile now?

the RPM issue was fine before, but after this shift problem i noticed it started but after the car warms up it's normal. Now even the car is warm the issue is still there.

This is a difficult question for me to answer fully with all that is going on on both of these models here.

I will open your question up for others here to see if someone else can assist further on this as there may be others here that may have more info on what to check or do with this issue.I hope you can get this resolved with ease.No need to reply to my last post here unless it is a last resort as it will keep your question locked to me and others will not be able to view it.If you feel you want to continue to work with me on this feel free to reply at any time but keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair this without seeing your vehicle.

Thanks Pete

The service manual hould have troubleshoting
Mechanic for Honda: Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic replied 2 years ago
Tim's Auto Repair

Hi, My name is ***** ***** for the delay.

I will do my best to assist you.

the transmission in the 2001 is burnt up and will need to be rebuilt or replaced,,there is no easy fix for this one,,sorry

thanks

I fixed the 2001, work fine without replacing it. But I need your knowledge on the 1990 problem.

ok..

what is going on with the 1990-

thanks

I already told to Pete up there.

you need a service manual?

pete opt out...please tell me what is going on

thanks

oh, man.
The transmission didn't act very good. TCU showed code 7 and 8. Pete told me it was a ground problem. I checked the connectors and I found the problem now the TCU doesn't show any error but the RPM gauge wont work, if I rev the engine RPM goes down instead of up.

that does sound electrical..please stand by,one of the other guys may have a better idea of what is going on here.

someone will be right with you

thanks

Mechanic for Honda: Chris (aka-Moose), Technician replied 2 years ago
Chris (aka-Moose), Technician

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose). Experts aren't employees / agents of Just Answer. We are independent service providers using the Site to sell their Expert knowledge to Customers. I strive to provide EXCELLENT 5 STAR service, let me know what's needed from me so your pleased.

Different tech here, would you like me to try and help?

can you see the history up there?

Yes I can.

So the issue is, no forward gears work, but reverse does, correct?

well I fixed the transmission but the rpm gauge is the problem now, when I drive the car it stays on 1000 rpm, if I rev on park it's go under 1K.

Do you have a scan tool to see if the computer is getting an accurate rpm signal?

I do not have ODB 1.

If you disregard looking at the tachometer, does the engine and trans operate and work fine?

sometimes gear changes faster but sometimes it takes time to change. For instance, if I drive slowly it's change faster but if i drive faster on first gear it's take time to change to 2nd and the next gear.

Thanks, ***** ***** tachometer issue appears to just be a concern with the gauge inside the instrument cluster or the wiring between the cluster and PCM. If the PCM did not have a tach signal it would be storing trouble codes and having running issues.

Thanks for asking your question and letting me try to help you.

If your confused on why or how to rate me, let me know.

I'm only paid from the deposit you've made when you rate 3,4, or 5 stars.

Follow up/Reply as many times as needed before or after rating.

what the fix for the problem. The CEL is on, the code is 43, but IDK if it's related to rpm issue.

This car stores 4 digit codes I can not look up 43.

Replacing the instrument cluster would be the next step since you are not able to check the PCM tach signal.

honda 1990 accord ex is 2 codes

Customer: i have a 2001 Honda Civic Ex Automatic

I was responding based on your original car concern. We are not allowed to address multiple vehicles and multiple concerns on one post. If you now need help on a 90 model with different issues then a new post has to be opened.

well that was the discussion with pete initially
thank you any way. He just answered my 90 questions

Your welcome.

Chris (aka-Moose), Technician