Honda

Have Honda questions? Ask a Honda repair expert.

1990 Civic. Starts great, idles good but after approx 15…

Customer Question
1990 Civic. Starts great, idles...
1990 Civic. Starts great, idles good but after approx 15 mins, it begins to bog down, almost shutting off. Then after 5 mins of that, the check engine light comes on and then car runs GREAT. What's the issue here?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Honda
2/18/2016
Mechanic for Honda: Honda-Man, Honda Mechanic replied 2 years ago
Honda-Man
Honda-Man, Honda Mechanic

Welcome to Just-Answer. My name is ***** ***** online handle is Honda-Man. I have over 31 years experience repairing Honda and Acura vehicles. I would be happy to assist you with your Honda or Acura question!

Do you have the code? When the check engine light comes on a code is stored in the ECM memory.

Thanks, Honda-Man

Sure do, code 6 is the only one that pops up.
FYI, I replaced the colant temp sensor already.

Thanks for the reply and information. Please give me a few to look over my code info. Be right back.

No problem, I'll be standing by!

Sorry for the delay.

When the code sets and it starts to run better it's going into back-up mode or limp mode. When this happens the ECM runs on a different preset program map.

If you still have code 6 popping up after replacing the TW sensor you must have a loose connection, bad new sensor, or ECM problem. I have included the Honda diagnostic flow chart for code 6. I have seen on many occasions loose or damaged metal terminal ends. The female terminals(2) in the TW sensor connector or in the connector C210 between the TW sensor and ECM. It will probably be at the sensor connector since it gets the most action being unplugged and plugged back in. There is only one connector between the TW and ECM which is C210. It only has the red/white wire going through it. The green/white wire runs through the harness to a common sensor splice so it should be OK. If you follow the flow chart and wiggle the connectors while you are testing the loose connection should be easy to find. Usually the metal spring tab in the female terminal breaks and falls out of the sensor unseen. It's meant to keep tension on the male terminal end. C210 should be on the top of the shock tower or close to it.

Your satisfaction and a positive rating is my goal! Please help me by leaving a rating using the stars at the top of this page or accept my answer so I may be credited by JustAnswer. You are not charged extra for rating. This is important and the only way the site will compensate me for my time. All follow-up responses after the much appreciated rating are free so don't worry you can still come back until you have the advice and answer you need!

Thank you! ~Honda-Man

You can also try wiggling the connectors before the check engine light comes on. You might be able to get the light to come on or the engine to run rough?

Thanks Cliff!! I'll do the troubleshooting this weekend and see what happens!

Sounds good if you have any questions along the way just ask.

Will do!

OK