Honda

Have Honda questions? Ask a Honda repair expert.

My car does not start if the key light does not come on. it…

Customer Question
My car does not...

My car does not start if the green key light does not come on. it locks when it shuts off

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a Honda. The Honda Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.

That is the only issue. it only starts when key is on number II for about 10 mins and the blue key comes on

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?

If I can but might take it to a mechanic

Mechanic's Assistant: Is there anything else the Honda Mechanic should be aware of about your Honda?

That is it

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Honda
2/18/2016
Mechanic for Honda: Pete, Auto Service Technician replied 2 years ago
Pete, Auto Service Technician

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

This can be due to a fault with the key itself.On this model if the key is not recognized right away this will cause this issue here.I have seen several keys cause this type of fault here with the key itself needing replaced.This can also in some cases be a fault with the immobilizer itself that reads the key as this can fail.

What will have to be done from here is to have the fault codes checked using a scan tool that will plug in and communicate with all computers.Once this has been done any codes set need diagnosed to locate and repair this fault here.This may take a dealer to diagnose this properly or repair facility that works on this model here to be sure of the component at fault.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Pete, Auto Service Technician