Honda

Have Honda questions? Ask a Honda repair expert.

I got a 2004 Honda Civic coupe ex. Car drive great until…

Customer Question
I got a 2004 Honda...
I got a 2004 Honda Civic coupe ex. Car drive great until engine shut off on me at a red light. I try start the car again but only it will try to turn but won't start.push it to a gas station then next morning I start the car n it started drove it home n turn off the car n try to start it again but it won't start. What is wrong? Is my coils going bad, my fuel pump going out?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Honda
2/18/2016
Mechanic for Honda: Dan, Technician replied 2 years ago
Dan, Technician

Hello, my name is***** most common thing to fail causing this symptom is the fuel pump. To know for sure you will need to test during problem. Next time it happens again spray starting fluid in engine to see if it runs on the starting fluid, if so then this proves problem is fuel related and you will want to replace the pump. This is about a $500 job at shop depending on where you go. Let me know if you have more questions or would like replacement instructions. Thanks.

Nope I spray but not starting. It's trying to but not starting.pleasee help

Does radio shut off when car shuts off?

Ok, then that means the ignition switch has failed. This is a common problem on these vehicles. The radio gets ignition power so radio shutting off proves ignition switch has failed. I didn't suspect ignition switch at first since problem only was happening at stops. Let me know if you have more questions or if there is anything else I can do to help. Thanks.

I didn't quite understand that. I mean wen I put in key to to second spot before turning the radio clock blinks but don't if that have to do anything with it. O n the driver side power window won't work but passenger side do.
I start it wen got home awhile ago n engine stayed on for like a minute or so n the engine just shut off but all the light stay on didn't pay attention to radio .

When vehicle shuts down does radio shut off? I'm not talking about when you turn off vehicle with key, I'm talking about when vehicle shuts down like described in problem.

Wen I take key out yes radio is off

That is normal, how about when the vehicle stalls/shuts off?

The car didn't stall. Engine was on then it just shut down. But the lights n stuff still on. Engine just died.

When engine died radio was still on?

Didn't notice. But wen I get the engine to start again I'll pay close attention to it

Ok, let me know. If radio is still on check for spark at spark plugs. Thanks.

Engine dies radio still on. No spark at coil

Ok, make sure black/white wire going to coils has power during problem. If so I'd go ahead and replace the crankshaft position sensor. Let me know how it goes, thanks.

I had unplug the crank sensor n it start right up. Now I just have to remove stuff to replace it and hopefully that's it!!!will keep u up to date

Sounds good, keep me updated. Thanks.

I finally had time to change the crank sensor. Car start right up!!! But now another problem accur. I can rev over 3500 rpm. Please help!!!

Good to hear it at lest runs now, symptom you are describing usually means the catalytic converter is clogged. Remove front oxygen sensor completely from exhaust to relieve pressure, if that helps and allows engine rpm to go higher you know converter is clogged. Let m know if you have questions, thanks.

Did that n it's not it? I wonder if they gave me a bad crank sensor?

If it ran fine with no issues before and this suddenly happened after replacing crank sensor I think it would be a good idea to try a different sensor. Let me know how it goes, thanks.