Honda

Have Honda questions? Ask a Honda repair expert.

My 2008 Honda Element overheated while I was sitting in

Customer Question
traffic on a flooded highway...
My 2008 Honda Element overheated while I was sitting in traffic on a flooded highway last night. I was able to pull over and put in coolant but the engine/motor light was on so I went to a 24-hour mechanic to make sure the car was OK to drive the rest of my 250 mile journey. Initially he said all checked out -- fuses, wires, coolant, radiator.. That tge water came up through the bittom of my car and cause the problem. Just to check it, he said to let the car run and then, after around 10 or 15 mins, declared I needed a new cooling fan (passenger side) because it did not turn on. He ordered it and is planning to replace it this morning ($195 part, $110 labor). He said it was NOT safe to drive 250 mikes with it broken because the car could overheat, I'd have to pull over constantly, could blow a head gasket, etc. I would prefer to make the trip and have my own mechanic check out the problem. I since have read that the passenger side fan only goes on with the AC-- is that true? If I turn on the AC and that fan works dies that mean the mechanic's diagnosis is bogus? Please advise. Do you think I can drive the car if he ruled out other problems -- or that I should have another mechanic take s look? Is is possible the passenger side fan can be the culprit -- or in fact that water cause temporary overheating? How can I test this? The car seems fine now -- or at least was fine during the 15 minute trip from the mechanic. He's going to call soon -- when he gets the part -- so please advise ASAP. Thanks very much.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Honda
2/17/2016
Mechanic for Honda: Roy, Import/Domestic Specialist replied 2 years ago
Roy
Roy, Import/Domestic Specialist

good mornng my name is ***** ***** I will assist

if the left one works, then most likely the right is the ac fan. turn on the ac and see if it licks on. if it does then he was wrong

t should be ok driving because air is forced through the front to cool the radiator. once you get to stop and go driving thats when it will heat up assuming this is the actual failure.

Roy

Would the passenger side fan have anything to do with overheating? Is there any reason it would turn on if the AC is not on? Is he trying to scam me if it works when I turn on the AC?

if the left is working as I stated, the right is the ac fan. try it and see.

he may not be scamming just does not understand the system

Roy

was the coolant low???? dd you have to add coolant

I put in coolant when I first stopped and it was overheating-- temp gauge red hot and hood steaming. But after that -- ie after driving around 20 mins to mechanic -- coolant was fine and didn't have to add any more.

I would suggest having the system pressure tested to find the leak so you dont have any ssues going home.

Roy

how are you making out