Honda

Have Honda questions? Ask a Honda repair expert.

2006 pilot with random check engine light problems. Check…

Customer Question
Hi! 2006 pilot with...
Hi! 2006 pilot with random check engine light problems. Check engine light will come on and remain lit for days/weeks and then disappear. Sometimes light is just on but car runs fine (although the ECO will not kick in). Sometimes when the car idles (after starting or at stoplight) the light flashes the engine becomes bogged down and car will only slowly accelerate and shake. If I stop car and restart car will run/accelerate ok (although light will remain on). Codes read by autozone indicate Multiple cylinder misfires. Replaced spark plugs 6 months ago but has not solved problem.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Honda
2/13/2016
Mechanic for Honda: Honda-Man, Honda Mechanic replied 2 years ago
Honda-Man
Honda-Man, Honda Mechanic

Welcome to Just-Answer. My name is ***** ***** online handle is Honda-Man. I have over 31 years experience repairing Honda and Acura vehicles. I would be happy to assist you with your Honda or Acura question!

Your symptoms and misfire codes can be caused by a sticking EGR valve. The EGR valve should only open when the engine is under a load not at an idle. If it hangs open it will cause multiple cylinder misfire codes. Carbon can get caught between the EGR valve and valve seat or the valve can just intermittently fail. It's opened and closed electrically so the internal motor sometimes sticks. This can happen without setting an EGR fault code. Another possible cause is one or more bad ignition coils. One or two coils can fail but you can still have multiple misfire codes. If it misfires long enough it can set false codes for non misfiring cylinders. If the codes are all cleared then read as soon as it starts to misfire again you can find the first cylinders to misfire. Usually there will only be one or possibly two if you have a coil failure problem.

Your satisfaction and a positive rating is my goal! Please help me by leaving a rating using the stars at the top of this page or accept my answer so I may be credited by JustAnswer. You are not charged extra for rating. This is important and the only way the site will compensate me for my time. All follow-up responses after the much appreciated rating are free so don't worry you can still come back until you have the advice and answer you need!

Thank you! ~Honda-Man

Just a friendly reminder to rate or accept my service. If you have any questions feel free to ask!

Thank you, Honda-Man

Honda-Man
Honda-Man
Honda-Man, Honda Mechanic