Honda

Have Honda questions? Ask a Honda repair expert.

This morning I pulled the cord to start my Honda 2000 and…

Customer Question
this morning I pulled the...
this morning I pulled the cord to start my Honda 2000 and ity snapped and broke. I tried to take off the panel so I could look inside to find out if I could fix it. but the last screw wouldn't loosen. It started to strip. so I went to the place I bought it. they were of no help. is it possible for me to fix or do I need to bring it in to a shop? I live off grid in the mtns. I am not going back up till this problem is solved and fixed. suggestions? thanks so much cindy
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Honda
2/13/2016
Mechanic for Honda: Chris (aka-Moose), Technician replied 2 years ago
Chris (aka-Moose), Technician

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose). Experts aren't employees / agents of Just Answer. We are independent service providers using the Site to sell their Expert knowledge to Customers. I strive to provide EXCELLENT 5 STAR service, let me know what's needed from me so your pleased.

First off you have to get the panels free to gain access to the recoil. You mentioned a stripped screw head. You can use a left hand drill bit to back it out, or use a punch to try and turn the screw head to break it loose. Once you have gained access you remove the recoil cover bolts and remove it form the engine. You will need to wind the spring so it will retract by turning the pulley. Then hold it in place and insert your new rope. Make sure to tie a knot on the free end. Once the rope is in tire knot on the end to lock it into the on the pulley, release the pulley to let it suck up and wind the new rope. Then reassemble and attach your pull handle.

Thanks for asking your question and letting me try to help you.

If your confused on why or how to rate me, let me know.

I'm only paid from the deposit you've made when you rate 3,4, or 5 stars.

Follow up/Reply as many times as needed before or after rating.

I like to stay in contact with my customers. I assume you were not pleased with me or my answer since you did not rate it leaving me feedback. Just so you know we can still work on this issue. We can pick up where we left off or start over. I hate you paid all that money for your question deposit and have left not satisfied. Would any diagrams or repair guides or a phone call help?.

Thanks Chris