Honda

Have Honda questions? Ask a Honda repair expert.

I bought a used 2006 Honda Element in April of 2015. I

Customer Question
I bought a used 2006...
I bought a used 2006 Honda Element in April of 2015. I purchased an extended warranty for 36 months or 36,000 miles. I've only put about 4,000 miles on it because I live in Jackson Hole, Wyoming where I drive to work and back, 1 mile each way. I do go to the parks occasionally, but not putting a lot of miles on it. I'm wondering if I should cancel the warranty. I'm wondering at what mileage point 2006 Honda Element starts needing expensive repairs that would be covered under this warranty. I went in to cancel it today and the guy seriously said it was a good warranty and that he recommended I keep it. I know there's no crystal ball, but ...if I don't need it I could use the $1400 refund! to pay the car off faster. What do you think?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Honda
2/11/2016
Mechanic for Honda: Matt, Engineer replied 2 years ago
Matt, Engineer

Hello

if you only do about 4000 mile a year then I too would question the need for a warrenty as even if the car was to break down you have a mile to get to work ?

providing the car has been serviced on time and you use synthetic engine oil then it should carry on well past 150K miles with no issues

drive shaft joints typically need replacement at about 120K miles so these may need looking at soon and if the car is a manual transmission then the clutch may also need attention

Thank you, ***** ***** my thought. The dealer I bought it used from seriously questioned me about the cancel request. I'm having a small problem...clutch has to be touching the floor and the key is "sensitive" to be in the right spot, to start the car, but it always starts. I'm going to have that looked at today. The dealer seemed overly concerned, I guess his concern was his profit, but geez. He emphasized the possibility of having to replace the engine, brakes, etc. etc. and it costing me basically nothing with the warranty. My thought was save the extra $50 it put on my car loan and have that set aside IF something goes wrong. I know it's a crystal ball issue and all I'm trying to do is get my monthly expenses down. It's always scared driving a used car, but I've had it almost a year and it seems pretty solid. Thank you for your response. I feel better about the car. I think I'm driving to Idaho Falls today to get the airbag recall done, and I will inquire about the clutch, and the drive shaft joints looked at. as I am just about at 118k. Wish me luck!

Hello

glad to help

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you

I went to the Honda dealer yesterday to have the airbag recall done. After the inspection, they found that I need to have the ignition cylinder replaced, valve adjustment, transmission service, brake flush service and lube oil and filter changed. I guess that's par for a car of it's age, but of course, $1,000 later for all of this, nothing is covered by that expensive warranty. I still argued that it doesn't seem like things that they do cover is regular wear and tear....I'm considering options, like trading in for a little Civic under warranty. Cars, what a pain. Thanks and I'll rate you, of course, after you give any thoughts on this additional comment, can't imagine how you could enlighten my tough luck though. Just hoping none of this is out of the norm and hoping nothing else serious will happen. Still considering the worth of the warranty. For sure. Thank you, expert.
oh, how much money are we estimating for the drive shaft joints and clutch that you mentioned occur at 120k miles? Is this kind of thing considered normal wear and tear???? (things not covered by the warranty) Do you think the engine, brakes, or steering or anything else is a common major repair for the 06 model with 118,000 miles on it? I need to make a decision here.

Hello

I'll be honest I generally don't like aftermarket warrenties

all too often they cover very little and unless your engine has tried to jump out of the car then stuff you'd expect to be covered like a driveshaft joint - isn't and they will try and wriggle off the hook all the time even when you do have a valid claim

now not all warranties are the same so yours may be better than this

but for a driveline warrenty then major parts like driveshafts, clutch transmisson and engine should all be covered

the ignition cylinder won't be and also the normal service stuff won't be

now if you do have to replace a driveshaft joint they're typically about $200 each plus about 1.5 hours labour per side

a clutch is about $300 in parts and a days labour as the transmission has to come out

Hi

do you still need help?