Honda

Have Honda questions? Ask a Honda repair expert.

I have a 2009 honda ridgeline that the check engine light…

Customer Question
i have a 2009 honda...
i have a 2009 honda ridgeline that the check engine light came on and the vtm-4 light also came on checked codes has cylinder 4 misfire so changed plugs and coil and injector and still has the same issue what could be wrong
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Honda
middle plug on front head came loose after changing plugs and plugs covered in oil now
1/27/2016
Mechanic for Honda: Pete, Auto Service Technician replied 2 years ago
Pete, Auto Service Technician

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

If you clean up the engine oil or have already cleaned up the oil does the misfire still occur here at all?

Is the misfire still on number 4 cylinder?

Let me know so we can continue,thanks Pete.

cleaned oil off and still has cylinder 4 misfire

O.k.,did you verify there is spark on cylinder 4 or have you removed the spark plug again to see if it is wet with fuel at all?

has spark no cant smell gas on plug

O.k.,do you have a test light to test electrical with at all?

O.k.,if you can access the #4 fuel injector electrical connection disconnect it and test and see if the yellow wire with black stripe has power on it with the key on.If it does then test between the two wires at the injector when cranking over the engine with your test light.The test light should flash rapidly when cranking over the engine but may be very dim when it flashes.If you can do this and then get back to me this will help.If not let me know.

Thanks Pete

You either have a lost injector circuit due to damaged injector wiring leading to #4 injector or a faulty engine computer not pulsing the injector or you have a cylinder compression issue with low compression on #4 cylinder.A compression test would need done to see if there is low compression.The cylinders should all be very even within 10 or 15 psi of each other.If #4 is allot lower then the rest this indicates a cylinder compression fault and most common is a bent or burned/damaged intake or exhaust valve in the cylinder head with it needing removed and replaced.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete