Honda

Have Honda questions? Ask a Honda repair expert.

2004 honda civic battery good will not start

Customer Question
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Honda
1/27/2016
Mechanic for Honda: justinsbg, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
justinsbg
justinsbg, ASE Certified Technician

My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to help. When the engine won't start do you notice if there is a buzzing from inside when you turn the ignition to start?

no there is no buzzing

Okay. Reminder, I have not been paid at this point and won't be until I receive a positive rating from you. At that point I will receive a portion of what you've already paid Just Answer.

If you are not hearing any buzzing from inside the vehicle and you are sure the battery is good then I suggest the starter is faulty. Bench testing the starter is not always the best diagnostic test especially in this case where the issue is intermittent. To be sure the starter is the problem here is a check you can do. On the starter there are two wires connected to it. One larger wire from the battery, and another smaller black wire connected to what's called the "s" terminal. The next time it won't start have someone hold the key over in the start position while you check for power on the smaller wire at the starter. If you are using a multimeter to check there should be at least 9 volts. If you are using a test light the light should be lit up brightly. If there is power there when the key is held over in start, but there is no action from the starter this means the starter is faulty. If there is not power there let me know and we'll do some other tests, but I feel pretty confident that the starter is the problem. I service these cars every day.

You can go ahead and rate me positively. Don't worry, there won't be additional charges for posting to this thread after you rate so we can keep chatting. Thanks

Earlier, i ran a jumper from the + battery post to the s terminal and it sparked. but would not start. wouldn't it start if I did this? the car is 2 miles from here, I would like to check this out first. I just thought it had to be a grounding issue since I didn't have problems until a new battery was installed.

If it sparked but didn't start then the starter motor was shorted. The starter is faulty. See it many many times. Replacing the starter should repair the issue

Remember to rate me positively so I get credit for my time and advice. If you do not rate Just Answer keeps all of your deposit and I will receive nothing. If you need more information just ask me and I will gladly help with anything else you need to know. Thanks