Honda

Have Honda questions? Ask a Honda repair expert.

I have a 1998 Honda Acord that the "check engine" lite comes…

Customer Question
I have a 1998 Honda...
I have a 1998 Honda Acord that the "check engine" lite comes on, i already took it to the mechanic and he changed a vacum hose, i took it to have the analizer hooked on and it daid that the canister wasn't getting enough pressure, I took it back to the mechanic and he said that the gas tank cap needed to be replaced, i repleaced and the light was off for four days, but it came back on yesterday, every time the light is off is because the mechanic reset it
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Honda
1/20/2016
Mechanic for Honda: Amedee, Former ASE Master Technician replied 2 years ago
Amedee
Amedee, Former ASE Master Technician

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with your question. Can I get the code number stored in the computer?

I do not have that
I dont have that

Can you get it for me? You can get your computer scanned for free at your local auto parts store.

You can always get the code and reply back to me. No hurry

It is going to take about two hours ti get it because im in school right now and i get off in about an hour and half

Not a problem. I can wait. I will be looking forward to hearing from you.

Hey, Im back from auto zone and getting the codes, the code on the computer is P1457

Thank you for getting that code for me. This is usually caused by a Evaporative Canister Vent Shut Valve. Was this replaced?

We ordered one to replace but it won't get here until tomorrow, will the "check engine" light go off if we replace it and it was the problem??

Eventually, yes, the check engine light will go off by itself if that is the problem. This is the most common cause for this code. However, any leaking component in the EVAP system can cause this code. Here is the definition for this code.

P1457 EVAP System Leak Detected (Canister Area)

Possible Causes

EVAP two-way valve or ORVR vent shut valve is damaged

EVAP canister purge line is loose, damaged or blocked

EVAP canister is leaking, damaged or full of water

EVAP fuel tank vapor control valve has failed

PCM has failed

We changed the evap two way valve, reset the light yesterday and the check engine light came on today again, any input on next step??

Your next step is to get the evap system smoked checked for leaks with a smoke machine.

Where do they do the smoke check??
Where do they do the smoke check at???

They can go through the fuel filler neck or there is a evap smoke port under the hood that can be used to smoke check the evap system.

I am glad I can help!

It has been a pleasure working with you. Please dont forget to honor your good faith deposit by rating my answer as "Excellent Service" for assisting you today.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

I just get the impresion that we havent finished talking since we havent fix the car
Do the autoparts store sells canisters of smoke to inject on the system??

Auto parts stores might have to smoke machine. If not I'm sure you can get it on line like Amazon.com