Honda-Man
Honda-Man, Honda Mechanic
Experience:  I have an Associates Degree in Automotive. 10 Years experience on all makes and models. 20 Years Honda only including factory training. Over 30 years total.
75670266

QUESTION} I have a 2004 Honda civic the battery is fine the

Customer Question

QUESTION} I have a 2004 Honda civic the battery is fine the horn radio and lights work it just won't start
Category: Honda
Expert:  Honda-Man replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Just-Answer. My name is ***** ***** online handle is Honda-Man. I have over 31 years experience repairing Honda and Acura vehicles. I would be happy to assist you with your Honda or Acura question!

Automatic or manual transmission(diagrams are different)? Any noise at all from the starter?

Thanks , Honda-Man

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
none
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the radio battery lights work it just won't start
Expert:  Honda-Man replied 1 year ago.

Auto or manual transmission? Do you have a testlight or voltmeter to test with?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
automatic transmition
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no
Expert:  Honda-Man replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the information. Can you please try it in neutral? It normally will start in park or neutral. This checks the gear position switch or neutral saftey switch operation.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
that did not work
Expert:  Honda-Man replied 1 year ago.

OK, does the park P and neutral N both light up when you move the gear shift lever?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the car is an old car the gear lights where not reset in the car when I brought it I called the person I got it from he said he thought it might be a main fuse i had it checked by auto zone before this stated happening and they found a bad oil pressure censer. Up until a few days ago the check engine light was on
Expert:  Honda-Man replied 1 year ago.

If the main fuse was blown the lights and radio would not work. The check engine light and oil pressure sensor would not cause the starter to fail. Try pressing on or wiggling the starter relay. It's in the under dash fuse box(see image for location). Turn the key to start and feel the relay with your finger. It should click each time you turn the key to start. Try holding the key to start and tapping on or wiggling the relay. This might be what you did before when it started?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
that was already done a few times and did not work.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it worked in the pass but not this time
Expert:  Honda-Man replied 1 year ago.

Does it click each time you turn the key to start? Knowing this will help me with my answer.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it makes no sound at all
Expert:  Honda-Man replied 1 year ago.

You probably have a bad starter relay if it worked in the past but does not help now. It should click if not it's probably bad. I can Give you the Honda part number and price if you would like?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i would like that information please.
Expert:  Honda-Man replied 1 year ago.

Relay part number is: 39794-S0K-A01 Cost from Honda is: $5.36 Click on the blue part number for a online parts source. You might be able to find it on ebay or amazon? It's not a part that autoparts stores will stock.

Your satisfaction and a positive rating is my goal! Please help me by leaving a rating using the stars at the top of this page or accept my answer so I may be credited. You are not charged extra for rating. This is important and the only way the site will compensate me for my time. All follow-up responses after the much appreciated rating are free so don't worry you can still come back until you have the advice and answer you need!

Thank you! ~Honda-Man