justinsbg
justinsbg, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE certified in Brakes, Electrical, HVAC, and Engine Performance. Currently a lead diagnostic Technician.
27674784

I have a 2004 Honda Odyssey with 117,000 well-maintained

Customer Question

I have a 2004 Honda Odyssey with 117,000 well-maintained miles. It starts and idles perfectly and accelerates and shifts well, but once up to and maintaining constant speed, it begins to cut out...not continously and not according to any pattern, but it will lose power for a second or so, then continue smoothly for a minute or two, then do it again, etc.. If I accelerate from that speed it will do so with good power with no hesitation untill the new level of spped is attained, then the pattern will continue. Can you help me?
Category: Honda
Expert:  AZTechBrian replied 1 year ago.

Hello. This may sound stupid, but have you checked the battery connections and ground connection to make sure they are clean and tight?

Did you figure it out?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No. The battery connections are clean, tight and well-greased. I ask you to carefully read my question, consider the symptoms, review any similar ones you might have experienced and reply.
Expert:  Edward replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best. Let me ask, when you say maintained well, have you replaced the spark plugs recently? Also, have you noticed the check engine light come on at all since this issue started? let us know, thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
not only spark plugs, but all 6 ignition coils...all genuine Honda parts.
Expert:  Edward replied 1 year ago.

Alright, I follow you there, What about the check engine light, did you happen to see it come on any at all? or any other warning indicators by chance?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No "check engine" or any other warning lights. Again, it starts right up and idles smoothly, accelerated well at all speeds. It's only when maintaining any constant speed that the momentary cut-outs occur.
Expert:  Edward replied 1 year ago.

That's interesting, What speed does this cut-out occur at? and about how long does it last, just a few seconds every time? Does it ever last longer than that?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The cut-outs occur at any constant speed for a second or two. Say I'm going 40mph and the occsional cut-out occur, say 30 second to one minute apart. Then I accelerate to 60mph with power and no hesitation, then at 60 the cut-outs resume, etc. .
Expert:  Edward replied 1 year ago.

With no check engine light, I'm not leaning towards it being any sensor, such as TP sensor, Mass Air Flow sensor, Oxygen sensor etc. and the reason is, if a sensor was going far enough out of range for you to feel it cutting out, then I really believe it would set off the check engine light and you would get a code for something, I may just check codes anyway just to see if anything is stored, Sometimes you can get a code, but the ECM has to see it consistently for a while before it will set the light off, So if you have a code reader, I would certainly look just to see if anything is stored. From you replacing the coil packs and plugs, it sounds like it's consistent with a misfire, or "fishbite" as we call it in the diagnostic world. The first thing I would check now (since you've replaced plugs and coil packs) is the EGR ports in the intake manifold, Honda's are somewhat famous for getting these small passages clogged up, and then you get that surged, I will bet that is what you have going on there since you have no check engine light. I can't be sure but I've seen it on more than one Honda. Only other thing I could thing of is possibly timing chain is stretched, by again you would get cam phase codes. Clean the EGR ports, if the codes are clear, and if that doesn't fix it, I would check fuel pressure next. but I think you'll find cleaning the EGR ports will fix it. Let me know if you have any further questions. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
At the time my mechanic replaced the ignition coils & plugs, he removed the intake manifold and cleaned the EGR ports, which were indeed plugged with carbon. This was just a month ago. The misfiring (?) problem began shortly thereafter.
Expert:  Edward replied 1 year ago.

Alright, That was my suggestion, let me opt out in case any other experts wants to add anything, thank you.

Expert:  justinsbg replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to help. It looks like you've been working hard to figure this out. Let me offer some assistance as best as I can. Can you please tell me when the car shuts off if the dash lights and everything shut off as well, like the whole system temporarily loses power?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, there is no loss or fluctuation of electrical power...only a slight dip in RPM's.
Expert:  justinsbg replied 1 year ago.

Hi. I am going over my customer list and I realized that I never got back with you. Are you still needing help?