justinsbg
justinsbg, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE certified in Brakes, Electrical, HVAC, and Engine Performance. Currently a lead diagnostic Technician.
27674784

I have a 2007 Honda ridgeline. When I put my key in the

Customer Question

I have a 2007 Honda ridgeline. When I put my key in the ignition it would not turn. I tried turning the steering wheel but this did not help. Tried the spare maintenance key, it went it tight but would not turn either. Tried wd40 and compressed air with no luck.
Category: Honda
Expert:  justinsbg replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I would be happy to help. Are you looking for information about what exactly is wrong with your car or are you wanting to know if it is possible to get it working without replacing anything? I just need to know how to best answer your question. Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The truck operated fine. I turned off the truck. 30 minutes later I put the key in the ignition and the key would not turn. Tried turning the wheel thinking that it would allow the key to turn but it did not. I then tried the maintenance spare key and it would not turn the ignition. I then sprayed wd30 in the lock cylinder and used compressed air with no luck. I now have a vehicle that I can not start. Is there something that I can do to fix this problem?
Expert:  justinsbg replied 1 year ago.

Okay. One moment please.

Expert:  justinsbg replied 1 year ago.

Reminder, I have not been paid at this point and won't be until I receive a positive rating from you. At that point I will receive a portion of what you've already paid Just Answer.

Alright, the issue here is a faulty ignition lock cylinder (which is the part you stick your key in). Now, unfortunately there isn't much you can do to fix this outside of replacing the lock cylinder assembly. What you are doing with the WD-40 is fine, and may temporarily get it to work, but this will not correct the issue long term. The tumblers inside the lock cylinder get worn and no longer match up properly with the key. Replacing the lock cylinder is the repair for this problem. I work on only Honda/Acura vehicles 5 days a week so I know the brand well. I will give you a heads up from experience. When you purchase the new lock cylinder it will come with two new keys. These keys will not work in the door locks. Also, the new lock cylinder set will have to be programmed at the dealership as they have the capabilities to do this. In some places there are locksmiths who have this capability, you would just have to ask around. Labor cost for replacing the lock cylinder and programming should run you somewhere around $300.00 plus the part cost. I will include a link to view the part, part number, and pricing. It will be #2 on the parts list. Sometimes when you tell the dealership that you can get the part at the price you see on the website they will match it.

You can go ahead and rate me positively Don't worry, there aren't additional charges for asking questions after you rate so if you need more information just post to this thread. Thanks.

http://www.hondapartsnow.com/parts-list/2007-honda-ridgeline-4dr_rts-ka-5at/combination-switch.html