Honda

Have Honda Questions? Ask a Honda Repair Expert.

Honda

My Honda is sputtering when I start it.then it will die out.

Customer Question
If I press the gas...
My Honda is sputtering when I start it.then it will die out. If I press the gas pedal it sputters and die. It has started and I stated to drive but then it dies after a short while
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Honda
1/3/2016
Mechanic for Honda: Honda-Man, Honda Mechanic replied 1 year ago
Honda-Man
Honda-Man, Honda Mechanic

Welcome to Just-Answer. My name is ***** ***** online handle is Honda-Man. I have over 31 years experience repairing Honda and Acura vehicles. I would be happy to assist you with your Honda or Acura question!

It sounds like you are on the right track. Your symptoms sound spark related. Or more like a lack of quality spark. It's common for worn spark plugs to cause ignition rotor, cap, and coil failure. Inspect the rotor center contact and the distributor cap center contact for wear and burnt contacts. Look for a missing coil contact spring. If this all looks OK I would replace the coil next. Sometimes a complete distributor is close to the same price as a coil, rotor and cap.

Your satisfaction and a positive rating is my goal! Please help me by leaving a rating using the stars at the top of this page or accept my answer so I may be credited. You are not charged extra for rating. This is important and the only way the site will compensate me for my time. All follow-up responses after the much appreciated rating are free so don't worry you can still come back until you have the advice and answer you need!

Thank you! ~Honda-Man

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It starts fine so I don't think that's it, it's shitting off when I press the gas pedal

Weak spark will act that way. It's a classic symptom at least based on my past experience. I can opt out if you like so another expert can help?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I'm confused hen because reading through answers another person said it was the o2 sensor which fixed the issue.

O2 sensor failure that can cause it to stall or shut off is very rare. If the O2 sensor was that bad it would turn on the check engine light and set a code. Lack of quality spark is by far more common.

Honda-Man
Honda-Man
Honda-Man, Honda Mechanic