Edward
Edward, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  I have over 20 years experience in the automotive service industry.
29534642

My car won't pass smog because it says it's "not ready".

Customer Question

My car won't pass smog because it says it's "not ready". There are no codes showing and the check engine light is not on. I have driven it around for over 300 miles and still nothing. What next?
Category: Honda
Expert:  Edward replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will do all I can to help. There are readiness monitors that have to be cleared before the vehicle will pass, they are listed as follows.

Spark ignition vehicles (Gas)

• Catalyst (CAT)
  • Heated Catalyst
  • Evaporative (EVAP) System
  • Secondary Air System
  • Oxygen (O2) Sensor
  • Oxygen Sensor Heater
  • EGR (Exhaust Gas Recirculation) and/or VVT System

Do you happen to know which one isn't setting? On a scanner it says NOT READY by each monitor that is listed. Depending on which on isn't that may help us figure out what is going on. Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
3 of them aren't setting. The EVAP, Catalyst, and EGR
Expert:  Edward replied 1 year ago.

Alright, you get 2 "not ready" monitors on a 2000 model, and it will still pass, so we only need to get 1 to set for it to pass, so that is good. 1 for 01 and up.

Lets go for the EVAP monitor first, make sure there is more than 1/2 a tank of gas in the vehicle at all times for a few days. it sets the test at idle too, so leave the car idling if you can for 5-10 minutes if possible. That should clear than monitor if you do that a few times. The catalyst and EGR monitors, you really have no control over , they basically are going to set when the ECM see's enough data to set those monitors, unless the ECM is faulty which if the check engine light isn't on is unlikely. I believe that will resolve your issue with getting the EVAP monitor to set. let me know if you have any further questions.

Expert:  Edward replied 1 year ago.

Hello, thought I would follow up with you, any luck with trying to set that monitor doing it that way? Thank you.