HondaPlatinum
HondaPlatinum, A Technician
Experience:  13 year honda platinum level
3827149

I have a 1996 Accord EX with 4cyc V Tech engine. Here is

Customer Question

I have a 1996 Accord EX with 4cyc V Tech engine. Here is what I am running into.Whether it's warm/cold I can turn on the car all dash lights come on normally then I wait anywhere from 5minutes to as long as 23 minutes the check engine goes out and I can start the car. after running the car all day I don't have this problem. as the car sets all night I go through the same procedure. I purchased a fuel pump but did not install it because usually if the car will not start if the fuel pump was gone. Enjoy my car I do not want to throw money at bad solutions. Any thoughts
Thank you
Doug
Category: Honda
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with your question. YES, I agree. The problem should be diagnosed before any parts are replaced.

Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

Every time the key is turned to the on position, the check engine light should come on with the key on for 2 seconds and then it should go out. If this does not happen, there is an electrical issue that needs to be diagnosed.

Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

Your saying that the check engine light stays on from anywhere between 5 to 23 minutes after turning the key on? Is that correct?