Amedee
Amedee, Former ASE Master Technician
Experience:  ASE certified tech advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

2002 Honda Civic LX 1.7L just quit while driving. I had run

Customer Question

Customer: 2002 Honda Civic LX 1.7L just quit while driving. I had run it for 20 minutes on the jacks after changing the head gasket it started right up. I drove it for about a mile then it died. Battery is fine.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: It's a no start, no crank. I tested all of the PGM-FI solenoids (two) today and they are fine. When you turn the key on, you can hear the fuel pump solenoid clicking. Car was running fine.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $32) to post your type of question to Honda Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: OK.
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Honda
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with your question. Does the engine have spark when cranking it over? Does it run on starting fluid? Are there any codes in the computer?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Before it suddenly quit, the engine ran at idle for 20 minutes. I took it off the jacks and drove it for about a mile then it suddenly quit. No noise, no sputter, it just died. I don't know if there are codes in the computer.
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

So it does not crank over at all?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No. No start no crank as I said in the original post. The headlights work, so I don't think it's the battery. Before it went to the no start no crank, you could crank it for a while and it would start. Did I burn up fuses?
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

IT is possible. Have you checked power at the starter when trying to start the engine? IF not, this is the next step.

Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

You might want to check for power on all fuses under the hood. IT is possible that you have a bad connection at or just after the battery causing this condition.

Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

All fuses under the hood should have battery voltage at all times.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'll try to jump it directly at the starter tomorrow. It makes no sense to me that it would suddenly quit unless it had an electrical problem, timing was off, no fuel, or something broke. The fact it ran at idle for 20 minutes tells me that I don't have a mechanical problem, i.e. if the time were screwed up, it wouldn't run. If something failed mechanically, I would have heard it or it would not have cranked again after it shut off initially.
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

Thats correct. I agree.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I would also doubt that the starter or starter solenoid is bad if it easily started the first time I tried after I finished the head gasket job. If it's not the PGM-FI relays, and I can jump start it at the starter, than I'm thinking ignition switch.
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

That is a good place to start checking for power in and out of..

Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

Let me know!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks. I'm going to do a continuity check on it at various key positions using all data diy guidelines for the vehicle. If that doesn't work, I'm just going to take it to a shop.
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

Sounds good! I am glad I can help! Please dont forget to honor your good faith deposit by rating my answer as "Excellent Service" for assisting you today. Please let me know if you have any further questions as I will be happy to help!

Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

You should see the rating system towards the bottom of the page. Have a great night!!

Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

Hello! It's Amedee from just answer.

I am just checking in to see how things are going and to see if you need any further assistance?

Please let me know and I will be happy to help!

Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

Hello! It's Amedee from just answer.

Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

.