Chris (aka-Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

Thanks I have no injector pulse at any of the injectors

Customer Question

thanks I have no injector pulse at any of the injectors
Category: Honda
Expert:  Chris (aka-Moose) replied 1 year ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose) I'm an independent contractor here at Just Answer.

Can I get the year, make, model, and engine size?

The most common reason for no injector pulse is going to be a faulty cam sensor reading.

Thanks for asking your question and letting me try to help you.

You should see a rating screen if I have posted an answer, not for an info request.

Your rating is my feedback. If I don't get feedback from customers, I will not be able to continue helping customers here.

Rating me good, bad, or not rating at all does not effect the fee you have paid nor does it close the post.

Follow up/Reply as many times as needed.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it's a 2001 Honda prelude with a 2.2 stock engine

Thanks, ***** ***** have ignition spark?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have ignition spark at all the plugs

Can you use a scan tool to check the immobilizer unit to see if it is damaged.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No I don't have a scan to check the immobilizer. Are they checks that I can perform to determine if that is the problem? I can tell you that when I turn the ignition on the security light comes on and I hear the fuel pump energizing for a couple second and then it stops and the security light goes out

The only way to test the immobilizer is with a scan tool, a multimeter or test light can not do it. Something is preventing the PCM/ECM from pulsing the ground signal to the injectors. That has to be the cam sensor, ECM, or immobilizer.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Cam sensor? I didn't know this car has a cam sensor. I replaced the crank/top dead center combination sensors as well as the distributor

The car does not physically have a CMP sensor. It uses other sensor readings to come to a conclusion on this reading to know when to pulse the injectors. Since you have spark, this reading has the slimiest possibility of being to blame.

I like to stay in contact with my customers that appear not pleased, still working on the concern, or have not rated yet. I assume you were not pleased with my help. I hate that you have spent money to get an answer but left not happy. Can you tell me why, or can I help more. If its more help you need just reply and we can pick up where we left off.

Thanks Chris

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have the same problem with this car, as far as testing out the immobilizer, the scanner could not communicate with the control unit, whatever that means.

Are you calling the control unit the vehicles main computer?

If so then make sure there is power and ground to the data link connector and all ECM/PCM powers and grounds are good.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No I don't it is the main ECU because the scanner does power up and read some of the functions, however, the scanner just reads " the tester is unable to communicate with the control unit" I am thinking that it is referring to the immobilizer control unit, the only fault that shows up on the scanner is the PGM-FI, so maybe that bit of information will help to resolve my issues. Thanks

Thanks, ***** ***** able to confirm all ECM/PCM powers and grounds are good?

We need to gain communication with this module to see why it will not start and to see if the computer is to blame.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
all the power and grounds are good and we have swapped out the ECU/PCM and the same no start condition exist.

Will it at least crank now?

If so what is missing, fuel pressure, ignition spark, or injector pulse?

Will the scan tool now communicate with the main computer and get codes?

Are you getting an accurate CMP and CKP reading while cranking?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It has been cranking all along, there is 50 psi fuel pressure, spark at the coil and all spark plug wires, the scan tool does read the existing transmission codes, when a auto scan is performed, the only fault that it reads is as I stated earlier is the PGM-FI. I am not able to get any readings from the crank/cam sensors with the scanner or just observing the tachometer.

With an injector unplugged turn the key on, is there power to the injectors?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
there is power to all four injectors

PGM-FI is a relay and the injectors and computer powered means its not the relay with an issue. Are you saying there is no CMP reading or your tool is not that good?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I cannot detect any readings using a Maxidas 708 scanner

Will your scan tool get any readings from the ECM?

Will your tool access the immobilizer to see if it reads RUN status?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Most of the modules I cannot access and when I attempted to access the immobilizer function, thats when I get the "tester cannot communicate with the control unit" warning and that happens when I attempt to communicate with other modules and sensors as well.

At this time we are stuck due to the scan tools limitations. We need a better scan tool to figure this out.