Honda-Man
Honda-Man, Honda Mechanic
Experience:  I have an Associates Degree in Automotive. 10 Years experience on all makes and models. 20 Years Honda only including factory training. Over 30 years total.
75670266

Have a 1991 CRX 1.5 that reason it will not start, new

Customer Question

Hi, have a 1991 CRX 1.5 that for some reason it will not start, new ignition switch, starter, alternator have all been replace, I do get power to the dash indicators, but no starter movement to turn on engine, could it be the main relay that is acting up or computer
Category: Honda
Expert:  Honda-Man replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Just-Answer. My name is ***** ***** online handle is Honda-Man. I have over 31 years experience repairing Honda vehicles. I would be happy to assist you with your Honda question!

The main relay can't cause the starter to not function. it's for the fuel pump and engine electronics not the starter.

Is your CRX a manual or automatic transmission? The wiring diagrams are slightly different so I will need this information to answer your question.

Thanks, Cliff

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's an it's an automatic are you leaning towards the neutral cutoff switch
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
But sometimes she'll start without no problem last week or so he's been dead as a doornail I was able to play with the shifter tapped the relay let it sit for a day or two and she started
Expert:  Honda-Man replied 1 year ago.

Thanks, ***** ***** quick reply and information. Yes if it's an automatic the neutral safety switch may be bad. It's no longer available from Honda but is from O'Reilly. Power comes from the ignition switch(crank position) through the neutral safety switch then straight to the solenoid. If messing with the shift lever helps then it's most likely bad. Sometimes putting it in neutral will work since it uses a separate contact than the one in park. If you want the test procedure for the switch I can send it? Also I have the replacement instructions and procedure for adjusting it? Just let me know and I will send you the information. The manual uses a starter cut relay your automatic uses the neutral safety switch.

Your satisfaction and a positive rating is my goal! Please use the rating scale and click on accept or the 5 star scale. This is important and the only way the site will compensate me for my time. You are not charged extra for rating. All follow-up responses after the much appreciated rating are free so don't worry you can still come back until you have the advice and answer you need!

Thank you! ~Honda-Man

Expert:  Honda-Man replied 1 year ago.

O'Reilly part. Discontinued Honda part number: 35700-SH3-961