Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Honda Tech -
Experience:  18+yrs experience. State Inspector and Honda Diagnostics
18617752

I have a 2008 honda element with 227000 million miles. The

Customer Question

I have a 2008 honda element with 227000 million miles. The check engine light came on and the honda dealer said to replace the converter ($1300)! Are there any products that can clean the converter since I plan to sell the car in the next few months. Thanks for any help you can offer.
Category: Honda
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 1 year ago.

Unfortunately, there are no chemicals that can be added to "clean" or "repair" a failing Catalytic Converter. When the Converter fails and sets the check engine light, this means the chemical composition of the internal components that are used to clean the exhaust before it leaves the tailpipe have broken down and are not cleaning the exhaust enough to meet Honda OE specs. This is a mechanical issue inside the converter and there is no chemical that can revive this chemical reaction inside. So, unfortunately, the only solution here is to replace the Converter. The estimate you received is a bit on the high side. The Converter sells for around $961 and the Labor Time Guide calls for a little over a half-hour to complete the job. Labor rates vary from shop to shop, so what you pay for labor will effect the bot***** *****ne. For a job of this type, a "fair" labor rate can be anywhere from $85-$125 per hour. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news here! I know this wasn't the answer you were hoping for! If my answer has helped you, please help me by leaving a rating using the stars at the top of this page or accept the answer so I may be credited. If you cannot rate or do not see the rating stars, please let me know. You can ask follow-up questions after you rate.