Honda

Have Honda Questions? Ask a Honda Repair Expert.

Honda

I HAVE A 2002 HONDA CIVIC 1.7L THAT WHEN IT GETS UP TO TEMP

Customer Question
YOU CAN SEE GOOD WATER...
I HAVE A 2002 HONDA CIVIC 1.7L THAT WHEN IT GETS UP TO TEMP YOU CAN SEE GOOD WATER PUMP FLOW,TEMP STAYS IN THE MIDDLE, BUT WHEN YOU CAP IT AND TAKE IT FOR A RIDE IT BLOWS ANTIFREEZE INTO THE OVERFLOW TANK AND OUT OF IT THEN TEMP STARTS TO RISE, THIS IS WHAT HAS BEEN DONE,IN 2014 A NEW TIMING BELT AND COMPONETS,WATER PUMP SPARK PLUGS, THERMOSTAT,AUGUST 2015,NEW FAN CONTROL SWITCH, NEW RAD.-TOP OF RAD. WAS MELTED AND DEFORMED, NEW THERMOSTAT AND ANTIFREEZE AGAIN, DEC.04,2015, NEW RAD. MELTED AND DEFORMED AGAIN, DID COMPRESSION TEST ON ALL 4 CYLS. AFTER 4 STROKES MIN. 150 PSI, DID BLOCK TEST WITH COMBUSTION LEAK INDICATING FLUID, NO CHANGE IN COLOR, STAYED BRIGHT BLUE, BUT BUILDS A LOT OF PRESSURE IN RAD. WHERE DO I GO FROM HERE?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Honda
12/6/2015
Mechanic for Honda: Roy, Import/Domestic Specialist replied 1 year ago
Roy
Roy, Import/Domestic Specialist

good afternoon my name is ***** ***** I will assist

the first thing I would do is a leak down test on all cylinders. it definitely sounds ike you have a blown head gasket

Roy

Customer reply replied 1 year ago

WHY WOULD IT NOT SHOW UP IN THE BLOCK TEST? AND HOW DO I DO THE LEAK DOWN TEST?

block tests are not that accurate. I have seen where there is white smoke at the tail pipe and it still passes.

the real way is to do the leak down test. you remove the spark plugs and insert shop air into the cylinder. take off the radiator cap during the test. watch for any movement of the coolant from the radiator. any movement at all indicates leakage into the cooling system form the cylinder

Roy

Customer reply replied 1 year ago

WHAT SHOULD BE THE MAX AIR APPLIED TO THE CYL. ?

125 lbs.

Roy

Customer reply replied 1 year ago

yes, it's 125 lbs

ok, and was there any movement in the cooling system??? did you test all 4 cylinders???

Roy

how are you making out

how are you making out???

please dont forget to rate me as it is the only way I get paid for my efforts

Roy

Roy
Roy
Roy, Import/Domestic Specialist