Honda

Have Honda Questions? Ask a Honda Repair Expert.

Honda

My wife's 2008 Honda CR-V came out of the shop 2 days ago

Customer Question
(running fine) with a new...
My wife's 2008 Honda CR-V came out of the shop 2 days ago (running fine) with a new radiator and water pump. Water pump was leaking causing it to overheat and radiator was corroded.
Now it will not start. It will crank but not start. I replaced the crankshaft position sensor because I read this is a common cause of this issue.
I checked the fuel pump fuse and can hear the pump prime when the ignition is turned to ii. I assume it's getting gas.
I'm assuming it's not getting spark but have to specific thought as to why.
Any suggestion?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Honda
12/4/2015
Mechanic for Honda: justinsbg, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 year ago
justinsbg
justinsbg, ASE Certified Technician

My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to help. Can you please tell me if the green key light is flashing on the dash while you are cranking the engine?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No, it flashes once briefly when the ignition turns to ii then does not come back. I also tested the other keys to make sure that the immobilizer was not the problem.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No, it flashes once briefly when the ignition turns to ii then does not come back. I also tested the other keys to make sure that the immobilizer was not the problem
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
4 codes:P0117- coolant temp circuit lowP0365-camshaft position sensorP0340-camshaft position sensorP0303-cylinder 3 misfire

Reminder, I have not been paid at this point and won't be until I receive a positive rating from you. At that point I will receive a portion of what you've already paid Just Answer.

Uh oh. The P0365 and P0340 codes tell me what the problem is. The timing chain has jumped teeth on the gears. In other words the timing is off. You will have to pull the valve cover to verify, but I have seen this MANY times. The timing chain tensioner is activated by oil pressure typically this tensioner over time will extend out too far and not be able to keep adequate pressure on the chain resulting in a jumped timing chain. Also, the P0303 is more than likely related to the cam sensor codes. Just keep in mind that if the car has more than 105,000 miles on it and the spark plugs have not been changed you need to change them using factory plugs. The P0117 could also be aiding in the operation of the vehicle. First check the antifreeze in the radiator. This code could be left over from before the radiator was replaced. I would clear that code and see if it returns after driving it a while. If you need information about checking timing marks and so forth let me know and I will provide that information.

Please go ahead and rate me positively. Don't worry, you can still post questions to this thread after you rate so if you need more information just ask. There won't be any additional charges for posting questions to this thread after you rate. Thanks.

justinsbg
justinsbg
justinsbg, ASE Certified Technician