HondaPlatinum
HondaPlatinum, A Technician
Experience:  13 year honda platinum level
3827149

My name is ***** ***** and I have had an alernator issue.

Customer Question

Customer: Hi, my name is ***** ***** and I have had an alernator issue. Was told by AA mechanic that alternator had died and needed replacing. Just had a new one fitted but still have battery, engine management and ABS warning lights on after ignition
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Not much more to say other than the car completely died on me without prior warning, fuel and temp guages bottomed out and radio stopped working before the car ground to a halt
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $32) to post your type of question to Honda Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: I have plenty of time
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Honda
Expert:  justinsbg replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to help. Can you please provide the vehicle VIN number so I can know exactly what type of vehicle this is? Thanks in advance.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
JHMCL76805C209776
Expert:  justinsbg replied 1 year ago.

Great, thanks. Also, do you have a scanner that you could check the codes with?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what codes?
Expert:  justinsbg replied 1 year ago.

Codes related to the emissions light and abs light?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
where does one find these codes?
Expert:  justinsbg replied 1 year ago.

You have to use a scanner that hooks up to the vehicle's data link connector. At this point I'm assuming you don't have this capability. Give me a few moments.

Expert:  justinsbg replied 1 year ago.

That VIN is invalid. Is this vehicle in the USA?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, it is in the UK
Expert:  justinsbg replied 1 year ago.

Okay. Please tell me what year, make, and model this vehicle is

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
2005 Honda Accord 2.0 vTech Executive
Expert:  justinsbg replied 1 year ago.

Okay thanks. I'll need some more information from you to be able to successfully assist. I need you to have the vehicles computer scanned so you can get the fault codes that are stored in relation to the abs and emissions lights. Once I have that information I can help you. There are so many possibilities that it would be a shot in the dark attempting to guess what the problems are. Also, I need to know what the charging voltage is at the battery while the engine is running. This can be done at an autoparts store.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The charging voltage was 12v at the battery and the alternator is all I can tell you
Expert:  justinsbg replied 1 year ago.

Was that 12 volt reading taken prior to the alternator replacement or after?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
After. Prior to the change, battery only registered 8v
Expert:  justinsbg replied 1 year ago.

Okay. It can make a real difference in diagnosis if the voltage was at exactly 12 volts, 12.6, volts and so on. Can you provide the exact voltage?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not at this time, no