Honda-Man
Honda-Man, Honda Mechanic
Experience:  I have an Associates Degree in Automotive. 10 Years experience on all makes and models. 20 Years Honda only including factory training. Over 30 years total.
75670266

02 accord 2.3 code 740 put in a new Trans was fine a wk then

Customer Question

02 accord 2.3 code 740 put in a new Trans was fine for abut a wk then code came back shop said it ws1.5 qts over full and is saying that's why the converter won't lock up and can cause damage to the vanes in the pump due to drowning the converter causing cavitation and fluid press drops
is this true or is he trying to pull one over on me thanks for any enlightens robbialer
Category: Honda
Expert:  Honda-Man replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Just-Answer. My name is ***** ***** online handle is Honda-Man. I have over 31 years experience repairing Honda vehicles. I would be happy to assist you with your Honda question!

Drowning the converter? It's meant to be Full of fluid so as far as I am concerned a drowned converter is normal. The vanes are meant to be surrounded with fluid.

The code P0740 is either a hydraulic problem an electrical problem or a bad torque converter. Hydraulic problems will cause other issues like shifts late or slips. This is because of a lack of pump pressure or restricted passages. If it's overfull the fluid may foam up but you would have other problems besides the P0740 code. If it was shifting OK then most likely you have a bad torque converter, lock up solenoid, or PCM. The trans shop needs to follow the troubleshooting procedure to find the problem. If the transmission is bad or the torque converter is bad it was probably that way when you installed it.

Your satisfaction and a positive rating is my goal! Please use the rating page and click on accept or the rating scale. This is important and the only way the site will compensate me for my time. All follow-up responses after the required rating are free so don't worry you can still come back until you have the advice and answer you need!

Thank you! ~Honda-Man

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
this is the second Trans put in the first rebuild totally burned up and was slippingthis transshiftsfine but has no lock up causing the check engine light to come on
when I got the car back I checked yet he level and it wS .5 quit low and he's telling me that if there's any other issues with it it won't be covered under warrantee cause of the over amount of fluid
Expert:  Honda-Man replied 1 year ago.

Sorry for the delay, I was outside shoveling snow.

Sorry for your bad luck. Sounds like the first one was a bad rebuild. The second and current one doesn't seem much better. This generation of Accord was the worst in Honda history for transmission problems. It sounds like he is trying to avoid honoring the warranty. Probably got a bad converter or the rebuilder reused a old one. The converter has a friction surface for the lockup function that disintegrates or wears out over time. It's not a matter of the fluid level but just a bad design.

.5 quarts low would be the lower mark on the stick. that is the correct spot when checking it cold. The upper mark is when checking it hot.

If you have any other questions feel free to ask! Please kindly rate or accept my service and reply if needed afterward.

Thank you, Honda-Man

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
sorry got busy also when I first putt he Trans in it worked fine for about a wk then the light came on yesterday it only took 75 miles last night it only took 2 miles bit it shifts all other gears fine
Expert:  Honda-Man replied 1 year ago.

Sounds like a bad converter or there might be debris blocking the lock-up solenoid passage. This would explain why it was OK for one week. It took time for it to build up enough to set the code.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok thank you
Expert:  Honda-Man replied 1 year ago.

Thank you too, have a good evening and please remember to rate.

Honda-Man