Honda

Have Honda Questions? Ask a Honda Repair Expert.

Honda

2001 Honda Accord Ex 3.0L. Car has brand new fuel pump that

Customer Question
work fine, checked pressures are...
2001 Honda Accord Ex 3.0L. Car has brand new fuel pump that work fine, checked pressures are fine. But when the car sits overnight and is cold and i go to start it just turns over. Starter doesn't drag at all sound strong, but i have to cycle the key on
and off a couple times before it fires up. Brand new plugs also. What can be causing this?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Honda
11/23/2015
Mechanic for Honda: Ron, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
Ron, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and thank you for you question,

If you install your fuel pressure gauge and monitor the fuel pressure on the first turn of the key on a cold engine what is the pressure reading on the new pump?

right under 35 psi

Does it hold steady on the first turn of the key with out cranking the engine over?

no bouncing of the needle at all.

In most cases if you are having to cycle the key 3 or 4 time to get it to start that usually means the check valve in the new pump is not holding, if you sure the pressure is holding steady and not dropping off and you have good spark it really should tart on the first crank. Are you 100% sure the pressure is holding?

i watching it now and its holding steady

Okay what does it do on the first turn of the key cranking the engine, dose the engine start right up?

it is now but when it sits for a day and i go to start it on a cold morning, i get nothing until i cycle the key a couple of times

Okay thats when I need yo to check the fuel pressure, after it has set and while the problem is occurring , leave your gauge connected and do not cycle the key but one time and then read the pressure.

HondaPlatinum
HondaPlatinum
HondaPlatinum, A Technician