Honda

Have Honda Questions? Ask a Honda Repair Expert.

Honda

My 95 Accord EX 2.2L VTEC just failed it's smog in the ASM

Customer Question
Results. I need helping ascertain...
My 95 Accord EX 2.2L VTEC just failed it's smog in the ASM Results. I need helping ascertain the exact cause for the failure but I am getting different answers. Some are calling it a fuel isnigtion issue, while others are calling it the catalitic converter. It failed in the HC (PPM) where it gives up to 61 Max and my car is releasing 74. Ever other part of the test passed just fine. Have you any ideas possibly?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Honda
11/23/2015
Mechanic for Honda: Fixitman, Technician /Advisor replied 2 years ago
Fixitman
Fixitman, Technician /Advisor

Hello, my name is***** for the question. When you have high HC's like this it is because you either have Unburnt fuel in the exhaust or the converter is failing. The majority of the time of the car is running fine and not misfiring then you need a new catalytic converter. You can try a temperature test with an infrared thermometer. Let the car warm up and see if it is running at about 350-400 degrees. If it is colder then it is bad. Let me know if you need more help.

Fixitman
Fixitman
Fixitman, Technician /Advisor