Honda-Man
Honda-Man, Honda Mechanic
Experience:  I have an Associates Degree in Automotive. 10 Years experience on all makes and models. 20 Years Honda only including factory training. Over 30 years total.
75670266

I have a 05 honda pilot.....motor is bad....I want to put a

Customer Question

I have a 05 honda pilot.....motor is bad....I want to put a motor out of a 04 pilot......what's the difference.....
Category: Honda
Expert:  Honda-Man replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to JustAnswer.

The ECU and wiring harnesses are different. The 04 ECU is inside the cabin the 05 is in the engine compartment. The wiring harnesses are completely different. The throttle body on the 04 is mechanical with a throttle cable. The 05 uses fly by wire electronic controlled throttle. Basically the 2 different years were a generation change and as far as I am concerned not interchangeable.

Thank you for giving me the opportunity to assist you. Your satisfaction and accepting my service is what I work for! If you can't rate in a positive way please let me know so I can continue to help. I will continue to help after the rating until you have the advice and answer you need!

Thanks again! ~Honda-Man

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I understand wiring and ecus are different....m wondering if the 05 intake and sensor will bolt on the 04 motor....I'm willing to swap stuff over....I did some pricing on used motors a used one for a 05 is 1400..used one for a 04 is 300
Expert:  Honda-Man replied 1 year ago.

I can see why you want to use the 04. Sorry for the delay I have been looking over the parts catalog to see if that's possible. The intake gaskets are different and so are the intake runners to the cylinder heads. The cylinder heads are different. Exhaust manifolds and exhaust pipes are different. The engine mounts and brackets are different. 2004 to 2005 was a major change for the Pilot and it's engine. I still say it's not possible based on the parts catalog, repair manual and my experience. It would be a nightmare to even try.

Expert:  Honda-Man replied 1 year ago.

Sorry I meant to say thanks again, Honda-Man aka Cliff

Please remember to rate my advice and service. Without a positive rating I will not receive credit.