Chris (aka-Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

I have the same problem with my 2004 Odyssey. Is this a

Customer Question

Jim, I have the same problem with my 2004 Odyssey. Is this a realitivy easy fix?
Category: Honda
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is the latch supposed to be loose on the rear liftgate, 2004 Honda Odyssey. If not how do i tighting it?
Expert:  Chris (aka-Moose) replied 1 year ago.

Welcome, I am Chris (aka-Moose)

The latch mounted inside the liftgate latch should not be loose. To tighten it, you need to open the liftgate and tighten the 3 phillips head screws next to the latch opening.

----------Once you get an answer----------

1) Please realize I base my info requests and answers on what you type.

2) The more you can tell me the faster and better I can help.

3) I am not an employee for Just Answer, they pay me nothing to help you.

4) I am paid by the customer from your deposit, but only when you rate my answer.

5) You will notice it says rate to finish, rating does not close the post, or end our conversation.

6) I am going to stay in contact with you until you respond and tell me your happy or pleased with the answer. So please reply and let me know the progress on the issue and our discussion or if more help is needed.

Thanks Chris

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for getting back to me. I didn't see three screws to tighten. Do I need to remove the Plastic panel across the bottom portion of the door to access them? There are 2 plastic screws along the bottom of the door holding the plastic panel in place.

Yes you will need to remove the trim to see the screws that hold the latch inside the liftgate.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK, once I have access to the trim removed, should I tighten the screws with the latch moved to the forward or back position?

The screws should be beveled and pull the latch into the correct position, if not then adjust it based on how tight the liftgate closes moving the latch closer or farther from the striker as required.

As I mentioned in my original post, I was going to keep checking in with you till you got your moneys worth.

It appears we are not there yet because the post has not been rated yet.

If you still need help, PLEASE reply so we can get this concern wrapped up.

Chris