Super mechanic
Super mechanic, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master, 30+ years exp. domestic and imports. Class A collision tech
2947720

05 Honda Odyssey Touring with starting problems. Possibly

Customer Question

05 Honda Odyssey Touring with starting problems. Possibly related to a battery draining problem, while parked (especially if I leave it parked for a day or more).
Battery only about one year old. It was replaced by Autozone under warranty.
Current battery tests good, alternator tests good, starter tests good, according to Autozone guy.
Category: Honda
Expert:  Super mechanic replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for visiting the site. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you today.

.

Let me start by saying that any money that you paid, or if you have a subscription, that money stays in your account until the answers are rated, (positive) regardless of how fast or how long it may take to get finished. You can FOLLOW UP AT ANYTIME, even after rating.

As long as the alternator is charging the battery when the engine is running. You will want to check for a current draw. Normally that is done by disconnecting the negative battery cable and hooking up an amp meter in series with the circuit.

…..

Also can be done with a 12 volt test light. You just go from the battery terminal to the cable end, (disconnected) and see what the draw is or if the light comes on.

….

The recommendation for maximum parasitic drain is around 30 mA (0.030 amp). A typical drain today actually falls into the 7-12 mA range, even though some vehicles do approach the maximum. Multiply the drain (in amps) by the time (in hours) the battery sits without being recharged. The result is the amount of AH consumed by the parasitic drain. The actual drain may be small, but over time the battery grows steadily weaker.

……

If so, then you will want to start pulling fuses one at a time until the light goes out, (or meter goes down) and that will be the circuit in which the draw is in. If no fuses being pulled cause it to drop, then unplug the alternator then the starter. They could do it but it's rare.

Just remember to keep the doors closed, (or dome light disabled) and the hood light unplugged,

.

Please don’t forget to rate the answer, **** THAT IS THE ONLY WAY I GET PAID **** if you need any more on it, I will be here.

.

Thanks

.

I do not have access to your email address,

I can get the instructions for it and put it in a PDF file, (it is rather large) and send it to your email address for a little bit more.

.

You will just have to accept the additional service offer and ENTER your email address in the “ENTER CONTACT INFO” section so that I can see it, Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I provided a lot more information in the "What I Have Tried:" field that was on the JustAnswer form that I filled out when I posted my question. Surprisingly, I don't see any of that information anywhere, and so I'm not sure if you even got any of it. Fortunately, I saved that text, and I will provide it again right now (perhaps your answer may change somewhat, after you review this omitted information).=======================================I try and turn off all electricals before I switch off the ignition, when parking it, including dimming the dash lights. I do this in an attempt to cut down on the battery draining while its parked. Also when I enter the vehicle, I attempt to start it quickly, before the electricals that are powering on consume too much valuable power,.It mostly behaves and sounds like a very low battery that is having difficulty turning over the engine. If there is enough power to turn the engine over, even if it barely turns over, it always seems to start.When there isn't enough power to turn the engine over, it simply clicks rapidly, and the dash lights flicker to match, when I turn the ignition.I usually already have all the electricals turned off, but I check them again. Interior reading lights are noticeably dimmer (but not always very dim) if I were to turn them on.I turn off other electricals as I find them. Sometimes this is enough to turn the engine over and start it. Surprisingly, even dimming the dash lights is sometimes enough. Sometimes waiting two or three minutes helps.Once the current drops too low, it just makes one click when I turn the key in the ignition. No more rapid clicking sounds. Battery is almost stone cold dead at this point.Jump starting used to always help, but lately it hasn't. When jumper cables are connected to another running vehicle, my interior lights are bright, etc. so it's definitely getting the power it needs, but when I turn the key, it still just clicks rapidly. It seems like it's not even trying to turn over the engine...Last week, it was having the same problem of only clicking. First from a helpful patron of the store who's parking lot I was stuck in (he had a large truck and his battery had the same cranking amperage as mine). Then again just a bit later when a tow truck operator was unable to jump start it from his portable jump starter.The tow truck driver had another idea, though...He gets out his big towing chain and hook. My Ody was still connected to his portable jump starter. When he was ready, I turned the key (it clicked rapidly), and he used his tow hook to bang on the starter / bendix.The first three or four attempts, it just clicked rapidly, without even trying to turn the engine over... just like it has been doing. And then we had the success he was looking for: while he was banging on the bendix / started, the clicking to stopped, the engine turned over, and it started.He said "its your starter."I drove it home and parked it. After turning it off, I waited 15 seconds, and started it again. Started just fine. Repeated that once more, also fine.Later that day, it started and I went to my appointment. After my appointment I sat in the van and listened to the stereo while I did some work online with my phone. After a while, I started the van and let it idle for 15 mins while I continued to work (I have gotten into this habit and I do this so it can charge the battery back up while I sit and work like that, while listening to the stereo). Switched ignition off, then turned key back to acc for stereo use again. 30 mins later, ignition attempt just clicked rapidly.I had known for months the battery connectors were loose fitting. Yes, I tightened the bolts (as much as I could even), but they still moved slightly.I have long wondered if the battery wasn't fully charging, due to these loose connectors, so I decided to fix them right there, in the parking lot.I took the connectors off the posts, and scratched off the slight corrosion I found on both the connector and the post itself. The positive terminal showed more corrosion, but neither was very bad, really. I adjusted the connector shape, using pliers, put them back on the terminals, and tightened the bolts. Both are well secured now.I called a friend and we tried jump starting it. At first it just clicked rapidly, and then I tried banging on the bendix (with a tack hammer); a few attempts later, it started.Drove my Ody straight home and parked it.Few days later Ody won't start. Just rapid clicked until I wore the battery down so much that now it won't even rapidly click.A jump start attempt ended in more rapid clicking. Unfortunately time didn't permit the chance to try banging on the starter.I wonder if this is a starter problem as well as a battery draining problem?

Let's start by eliminating any guess work.

What is the static voltage of the battery?

.

What is the voltage at the starter terminal when the key is turned?

.

What sort of amperage does the starter draw?

.

Are the connections clean and tight?

.

Thanks