Steve
Steve, Honda Mechanic
Experience:  13+ years with Honda,ase certified over 25 years
13523613

02 Accord V6 not starting after engine swap. Replaced the

Customer Question

02 Accord V6 not starting after engine swap. Replaced the motor with used one from junk yard - car just turns over, will not start. I have no idea how long it's been since the new motor ran, is it possible the fuel regulator is varnished up with old gas? I have spark to the plugs, no gas. Thanks in advance.
Sterlin
Category: Honda
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.

It is very possible that fuel has become varnish. We recently did and engine swap on a newer Fit and it also would not start.

We swapped the fuel rail and injectors from the original engine and it started right up. You might need to replace the rails and injectors along with the regulator. The one we had did smell like paint varnish.

I would also make sure you have a check engine light working in case the main relay decided to fail along with the engine.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What are some things I can do to eliminate all other possibilities before taking off the plenum and removing/replacing the regulator, rails, and injectors? The old injectors look really dirty and I ant to make sure I've eliminated all other avenues.
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.

I would first make sure you have fuel at the fuel rail

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What is the suggested way to do that?
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.

There is a fuel pressure pulsation dampener on the fuel rail. You can loosen it up and then watch for fuel spray when you turn the key on. You should get a blast of fuel for 2 seconds and then also when cranking.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the info. I went ahead and pulled the rails, rails were fine, all the injectors were plugged. Switched injectors from old motor - it works fine.
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.

Glad you got it. I was pretty sure that was it after the Fit we had with plugged injectors.

Pleas do not forget to leave some positive feed back.

Have a greast day.