Honda

Have Honda Questions? Ask a Honda Repair Expert.

Honda

My pilot started making a noise and when I would turn it

Customer Question
off. It had a smell...
My pilot started making a noise and when I would turn it off. It had a smell to it. Then my console went out, radio and 10 mins later my car turned off. I got a jump to move it, it turned on right away.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Honda
10/3/2015
Mechanic for Honda: Honda-Man, Honda Mechanic replied 2 years ago
Honda-Man
Honda-Man, Honda Mechanic

Welcome to JustAnswer.

The problem you describe sounds like your alternator has failed. The smell might have been from the alternator belt. It's a fairly common problem with the Pilot and Odyssey van. I sugest having the alternator tested and the belt inspected. If you have any other questions feel free to ask!

Please take a moment to rate my service so I can get credit for my time, the question remains open for follow up even after doing so, all you need to do is return to this question if need be.

Thank you, Honda-Man

When the alternator fails(usually without a warning light) power is slowly lost to the electrical system so the battery goes dead. In most cases it will start back up with a jump and be OK for a short time until the alternator fails again. Having the alternator tested at a local parts store only works if the alternator is failing during the test. This makes it hard to get a solid diagnosis.

If you have any other questions feel free to ask!

Thanks and please remember to rate or accept my advice and answer.

Honda-Man aka Cliff

Honda-Man
Honda-Man
Honda-Man, Honda Mechanic