AZTechBrian
AZTechBrian, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Owner
77606712

I am trying to get the hood open on a 2003 honda civic. I

Customer Question

I am trying to get the hood open on a 2003 honda civic. I have one person pulling on cable but trying to get hood up to no avail.
Category: Honda
Expert:  AZTechBrian replied 2 years ago.

Is there tension on the hood release lever? or does it pull back very easily? almost as if it's not even connected to anything? If theres tension on it then while one guy pulls on the lever, have another push down and pull up on the hood multiple times quickly. It should come loose. If there's no tension then your cable is broken, or your hood release mechanism is either broken or stuck.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It feels like the cable is coming out way to far inside and I pushed and pulled up on hood but it wont open

So, it seems like the hood release is probably not being pulled back then? The cable is probably broke or the mechanism. Can you get your hand up there from underneath and pull the release back with a screw driver?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I will have to put it ramps
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No way to do it from the front?

You would be a better judge of that than me. We have done it from the front quite a few times with a heavy duty radiator hose pick shaped like an L. It depends on if you can get in there without damaging the front bumper or the grille. Sometimes pounding on the hook works good too, if it's just a sticky mechanism, but be careful not to dent your hood if you try that.