Steve
Steve, Honda Mechanic
Experience:  13+ years with Honda,ase certified over 25 years
13523613

I have a honda crv -1997 - that won't start. No clicks or

Customer Question

I have a honda crv -1997 - that won't start. No clicks or cranking with ignition on except for fuel pump start-up. Everything else electric works.
Category: Honda
Expert:  Steve replied 2 years ago.

This sounds like you may have a bad starter. Do you have a voltmeter so that we can be sure?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I do but the car is 70 miles away with my wife.
Expert:  Steve replied 2 years ago.

That does make it hard to test then. She can try to start it while in neutral and see if that helps.

If she can find someone to help her they can try taking a long pipe or bar and hammer and tap on the starter while she turns the key it may start. Other than that there is not much she can do.

This is an automatic I assume.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Automatic. We tried to start in neutral. What about the starter relay? AAA is on the way. I will ask to do the starter tap. Is there a solonoid on this starter?
Expert:  Steve replied 2 years ago.

Yes there is a solenoid on the starter. I am not sure if AAA will want to apply 12 volts right to the solenoid which would bypass the starter relay. I hardly ever see a starter relay go bad.

With the age of your CR-V chances are better that it is the starter.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Looks like I'm going to have to have it towed to a garage. $500 to replace a starter$$ Does that sound reasonable?
Expert:  Steve replied 2 years ago.

Yes that price is about right. I am in Illinois and just quoted an Odyssey starter and it was almost $600.00