Honda

Have Honda Questions? Ask a Honda Repair Expert.

Honda

2005, 97K honda Odyssey minivan: Engine makes a ticking

Customer Question
2005, 97K honda Odyssey minivan: Engine...
2005, 97K honda Odyssey minivan:
Engine makes a ticking noise while the car is idling in hot or cold weather. Just had the valves adjusted, installed new: timing belt, water pump, fan belts, idler pulleys, oil seal gaskets, spark plugs, front and rear engine mounts, transmission mounts. Engine still has the same tick, tick, ticking noise....
1. What is making the ticking noise???
2. Is this car safe to drive on a long trip?
3. What is the estimated cost to fix this problem??
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Honda
Answered in 1 hour by:
9/15/2015
Mechanic for Honda: justinsbg, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
justinsbg
justinsbg, ASE Certified Technician

My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to help. Reminder, I have not been paid at this point and won't be until I receive a positive rating from you. At that point I will receive a portion of what you've already paid just answer.

I work on only Honda/Acura vehicles 5 days a week so I know the brand well. First, I would say that the timing belt is loose due to a failed timing belt hydrolic tensioner. That is the most common thing I see when it comes to a ticking sound on this model. If you've already replaced the timing belt with a NEW tensioner then that sort of rules that diagnosis out. Given that you've already replaced just about everything else on the car to repair this problem, my next advice would be to remove the front (radiator side) valve cover to inspect the cam shaft. On at least 3 of the Odyssey VCM engines I have seen where the some of the front camshaft lobes get prematurely worn and pitted. When this happens it cause a ticking noise under all conditions, but typically the complaint is that it's seemingly a little noisier when first started. But the overall complaint is that it's noisy no matter hot or cold. I would bet that the camshaft on this vehicle has some worn camshaft lobes. Just make sure that when the timing belt was done that a NEW tensioner was installed because this is by far the most common failure item on the vehicle when it comes to a ticking noise. The tensioner looses it's ability to keep tension on the belt due to leakage or internal failure and the belt starts flopping around.

You can go ahead and rate me positively. Don't worry, there won't be additional charges for asking questions after you rate so if you need more information just ask me. Thanks.

Any news? Reminder, I have not been paid at this point and won't be until I receive a positive rating from you. At that point I will receive a portion of what you've already paid Just Answer. If you are still unclear about anything please let me know and I will try to clarify any concerns you might have. Thanks

justinsbg
justinsbg
justinsbg, ASE Certified Technician