sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

Have a 2000 honda accord and having ac problems. AC will

Customer Question

have a 2000 honda accord and having ac problems. AC will work great and after awhile the compressor will shut off because i'm loosing the ground at my compressor relay. any advice?
Category: Honda
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Unit will sometimes run with no problems and other times will run for about 10 min before compressor shuts off. After shutting off If i jump the 1 and 2 terminals for the compressor relay the unit will start working again. If i kill the car for less than 5 min and restart unit will work fine and then start having the same problems.
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to Justanswer!

There are a handful of thing that could be causing the compressor to disengage. The engine controller supplies ground to the relay based on input from the control head. The control head looks at evaporator temperature and sends a signal through the pressure switch to the ECM, which will then command the compressor on.

If the pressure switch has been jumped at the time the problem is happening then the control head or evaporator temperature sensor are likely causes. Do you have a scan tool that will communicate with the control head?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No scan tool, are you referring to something that reads the computer for faults?
When you say evap temp sensor are you meaning the two wire sensor that attaches to the evaporater. If so I've changed that. Is there a way to check those?
What is the controler head?

A scan tool reads fault codes, allows you to see data and performs actuator tests.

The control head is on the dash and controls the heat and a/c systems.

Does the blower motor continue to run when the problem happens?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it does

Do you have a code reader to check for codes in the engine controller?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not sure what a code reader has to do with an ac. I fixed the problem by trial and error.

The engine controller is what controls the compressor. Trial and error, wasted time and money is what I was attempting to avoid.