Honda

Have Honda questions? Ask a Honda repair expert.

I have some kind of oil leak under my car that I am trying…

Customer Question
Hi there.. I have some...
Hi there.. I have some kind of green oil leak under my car that I am trying to figure out what is it..
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Honda
8/30/2015
Mechanic for Honda: Derek Werner, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
Derek Werner
Derek Werner, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and Welcome,

A green leak is usually a coolant leak, remove the radiator cap and check the coolant level. A cooling system pressure tester will need to be used to find the leak. Most auto shops will check for a leak for a low cost.

A green oil leak could be oil from the A/C system.

There is green oil dye in the A/C system. A/C oil is dyed green, this is used to find leaks in the system.

I am just wondering if it's dangerous to drive the car for another day or two most likely an hour each morning with coolant or a/c leak. I haven't noticed any overheating since heat level bar behind steering wheels is on the middle.

You should be ok to drive, just make sure to top off the cooling system. Look in your owners manual and you should find the procedure to check the level. You can still drive if there is a leak in the a/c system.

Thanks.. So if the coolant is low would I get any warning signal on the dash board?

There is not a low coolant level sensor. Check the level when the engine is cold. and just fill to the top of the radiator cap. If you don't have any coolant just top the system off with water. Driving the vehicle with a coolant leak can cause internal damage.

What side of the engine is the leak on?

How big of a puddle does it leave?