Honda

Have Honda questions? Ask a Honda repair expert.

Accord: I have a serious problem with my 91 honda accord 5…

Customer Question
I have a serious problem...
I have a serious problem with my 91 honda accord 5 speed. No one seems to be able to figure out whats wrong. A few yrs.ago i noticed that once in a while only after downshifting and i tured it would die. Also sometimes it wouldnt start(catch) afterwards. Also sometime it would do one without the other. Also a maybe seperate problem is that when i slow the rpm's down the check engine light comes one which then it idols rough and tries to die when its at a stop. Then related to it is that then it wont start. It used to not start really only after the check engine light came on but now it does it all tje time. It can take up to an hr.to start at times. The check engine light used to come on after my speed sensor went out so i replaced it and it stilm did it so i was told its the gear thats out. I havent replaced it. But everything under the hood is new..please help..is it safe to drive u think?
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Honda
7/31/2015
Mechanic for Honda: Mike, Honda Technician replied 3 years ago
Mike, Honda Technician
Hello and Welcome - My name is ***** ***** Sorry to see you have had a wait..- Can I just clarify the situation - you say above - " It can take up to an hr.to start at times"... What exactly is happening when you try to start it ---? Ie- is it spinning / cranking the engine when you turn the key - ? If so - is it spinning fast or slow / sluggish?Too - what exactly has been done by way of tests - and exactly what parts have been replaced in a bid to cure this?Please reply here- when I receive your reply, I will get back to you asap thereafter- Rgds, MIKE.......................................
It cranks. Sounds like a normal healthy car..no special tests have been done. When it was hooked up to the computer all it comes back with is the speed sensor code
Everything has been done...i bought it with a rebuilt engine 5 yrs.ago..i put a new clutch..trani.alternator..coil..speed sensor..thermostat..fuel pump..starter..timing belt..all other belts..i could use a new battery after all the cranking it had to do and it dies after trying to start the car about 6 times..
Im at work so cannt talk till after 3..colo.time
New ignitor..tune up..fuel filter
Hi again - Im sorry I coudn't accept your call as we are in different countries - but its fine -we can work through it here. It may take a little time but thats ok with me - just reply when you can and I will do the same.-- Now one more question... can you tell me if it has had a new "crank sensor" ever / at all while all this has been going on?Rgds - MIKE...............................
No i dont even know what that is..is that something i can order from a parts store and put on? Is it a expensive part?
So r u sertain that crank sensor is the problem?
So basically a new distriburor then?
Hi again..Thank you for your reply.... My apologies as I wasn't on over the weekend.I cannot be "certain" that is the fault -obviously I would be foolish to say that without testing etc... but what I can tell you is that the crank sensor, in the dist yes, is an extremely common fault on this model..... so its a good bet yes - but , I have to advise to have it tested properly of course.Some people do just go ahead and replace the whole dist on these as its a whole lot easier - and it covers the other components in there too - in case... Really and in all honesty, on that year, many would decide to do just that -using a good 2nd hand one... and go from there.I hope you understand where Im coming from - Im trying to be helpful , honest and save you money all at the same time ;) but certainly your symptoms do add up yes.Let me know how you go..and / or let me know if you need anything further on this..~~~~ Meantime - Please do click on the "Exc / Ok rating" for me at this time.. "Thank you" in advance for that ... Note that you can get back to me anytime at all after doing the rating - it doesn't close you out.-- Best Rgds, MIKE.