Honda

Have Honda Questions? Ask a Honda Repair Expert.

Honda

CRV: honda crv a/c stops cooling after running on max. Is

Customer Question
honda crv a/c stops cooling...
honda crv a/c stops cooling after running on max. Is there a fix?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Honda
7/30/2015
Mechanic for Honda: George H., ASE Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician
Hello I will help you with your question, Does the airflow stop or just the cooling? Any warning lights on or any work done in the last year?
Just the cooling. No warning lights.
OK, that may be the clutch relay but lets see if some testing might pinpoint it. Do you have a voltmeter or 12 volt testlight? You say it quits on max, does it ever quit on lower settings?
If we return it to regular A/C setting it will cool.
OK, then that sounds like the control is failing. The control sends a request to the engine computer to turn on the compressor and if that signal is lost the engine computer turns off the compressor. In the MAX position the signal drops out after running for a while then when you switch it down it re-establishes the signal. I can help you test this if you have a meter but it is easily done with a scantool but that means a shop visit. They would watch the signal and see if it dropped out then switching brought the signal back, you can do that by hand with a meter but it requires accessing the wiring to install the meter so you can watch to see if the signal goes away. Please let me know how I can help you with thisThank you
I have a volt meter, but the Honda is not here right now. Tell me how to check it and I'll attempt the procedure.
OK, you need to pull the AC relay from the underhood fuse block and slip a short piece of wire along the #4 pin of the relay and reinstall it so you have a lead you can test from. Place the red meter lead to the wire and the black lead to the POSITIVE post of the battery. When the computer commands the relay on the meter will show battery voltage, when it wants the compressor off the meter will show 0 volts. If you have voltage when the compressor is off then we need to look at the relay and compressor and wiring. If it is as you would expect then you are sure the computer is turning the relay off. The next step is to use a scan tool to watch the control signals. Let me know how I can help you with this Thank you
Can I get back to you after I do the test? That will be tomorrow 7/30/2014.
I meant 7/31.
Sure, come back any time and post to this thread. I will be notified. Thanks
Thanks
Great, no need to post til you have a chance to check Thanks
George H.
George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician